Fresno State Tablet Program
On January 13, 2014, President Joseph I. Castro formally launched Fresno State’s Tablet Program. A cohort of approximately 40 faculty members from across the University has agreed to redesign at least one Fall 2014 course to leverage tablets. The goal of the Tablet Program is to facilitate student success both in content mastery and technology skillset building.
Faculty Training & Support
The Technology Innovations for Learning & Teaching (TILT) team will be the primary facilitator of faculty support and training for Fresno State’s Tablet Program. TILT will partner with the Apple Development Team, existing faculty experts, Technology Services, and the Henry Madden Library to provide training and on-going for support faculty involved in the Tablet Program. The goal of this support is to help faculty realize their vision for their redesigned course using tablets.
Faculty Learning Community
In Spring 2014, the initial cohort of faculty will be members of a Faculty Learning Community. The goals of the learning community for the Spring 2014 semester include the following:
- Discuss the pedagogical implications of tablets in higher education.
- Become proficient with the iPad Air and the core apps.
- Begin the course redesign process for Fall 2014 implementation.
- Provide input on determining additional core apps and associated hardware as necessary for Fall 2014 implementation.
Summer Tablet Program Institute
During June of 2014, all Faculty Fellows will participate in a one-week intensive institute. The goals for faculty during the Summer Institute include:
- Use tablets in an actual classroom environment.
- Develop expertise using the apps they will actual use in the classroom.
- Continue the course redesign process for Fall 2014 implementation.
The Support Team
As with other course redesign efforts at Fresno State, faculty will have access to many resources to support their redesign. These resources include:
- Instructional Designers
- Technical Support from TILT and Technology Services
- Multimedia Creation (including captioning of video content)
- Faculty Experts
- External resources as needed.