Fresno State's Strategic Priorities: Priority Two
Invest in a dynamic environment to attract, develop, and retain talented and diverse faculty and staff.
We measure progress and success by analyzing metrics provided by the Office of Institutional Effectiveness, Faculty Affairs, Human Resources, and Organizational Excellence. We also participated in the Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” survey, a study designed to measure workplace strengths and recognize institutions that have built great places to work.
Great Colleges to Work For Survey
A Work Place Quality Survey was conducted in March 2017 and 2019 to help us better understand faculty and staff perceptions of our work environment. The survey results provide a baseline of our strengths and identify areas that required our focus and attention.
The Cabinet identified 5 priorities as a result of the feedback received in 2017 which we continue to work on. Additionally, each VP and Division are implementing strategies to improve workplace quality.
Increased Employee Ethnic Diversity
Priority Two Themes
- Strategically develop faculty and staff to support student success.
- Fair compensation to include salary, benefits, and workload.
- Training, leadership, and professional development.
- Aspire to achieve Chronicle of Higher Education's "Great Colleges to Work For" designation.
- Strengthen culture of fairness, respect, diversity, and shared governance.
Priority Two Highlights
Added new Professional Development Programs
348 in-person campus workshops offered in 2018-19. New programs include: President's Leadership Academy, Principles of Supervision for Managers, Leads and Chairs, Administrative Academy, and Faculty and Staff Mentor Program.
Increased investment in staff salaries/benefits
34% increase since 2014/15 (approx. $62M)*
*This includes employment growth.
Principles of Community
- Engagement and Consultation (Nov. 2017-Nov. 2018)
- Document finalized (Dec. 2018)
- Operationalizing Principles (2019-20)
Onboarding New Employees
- President's Welcome Orientation event for 200 new faculty and staff (Fall 2019)
- Fresno State 101 — half-day orientation for managers and staff
- Tenure-Track Faculty Network orientation includes 6 days over 2 weeks
- Published the New Employee Welcome Guide
- Welcome Baskets delivered to all new employees
May 24, 2019
Over 1,000 employees participated in a full day of professional development, inspiration, and celebration!