Strategic Plan 2016-2020
To boldly educate and empower students for success.
Students prepared to become our next generation of leaders.
The words Discovery, Diversity and Distinction are everywhere you see the Fresno State logo. There’s a reason for that. It reminds us why we are here: to educate and empower student success through the discoveries they make, the diversity that will enrich their life experiences, and the distinctions they will imprint on a changing world.
We believe … in fostering personal passion, potential and a sense of belonging.
We believe … effective solutions come from inclusiveness, openness and respect.
We believe … excellence emerges with a willingness to be bold.
Fresno State will implement bold, focused strategies designed to maximize success for our diverse student body. By collaborating with community partners, we will provide a transformative educational experience that prepares students to serve and to lead in the Central Valley, the state, and beyond while improving the overall graduation rate.
Fresno State's Strategic Priorities
Enhance teaching and learning through best practices, innovative programs, and high-impact experiences that attract talented and diverse students and contribute to retention, extraordinary learning, the development of the whole student, and lifelong success.
- Access to classes.
- Curriculum and course redesign.
- Co-curricular and student support services promoting engagement and a sense of belonging.
Invest in a dynamic environment to attract, develop, and retain talented and diverse faculty and staff.
- Strategically develop faculty and staff to support student success.
- Fair compensation to include salary, benefits, and workload.
- Training, leadership, and professional development.
- Aspire to achieve Chronicle of Higher Education's "Great Colleges to Work For" designation.
- Strengthen culture of fairness, respect, diversity, and shared governance.
Align our physical and technological infrastructure to support a sustainable and welcoming campus environment.
- Modernize and upgrade existing facilities and infrastructure.
- Plan for new facilities and spaces to support enrollment growth.
- Embrace technology to support innovation, teaching and learning.
- Implement innovative parking and transportation strategies.
- Build and operate a healthier, more sustainable campus environment.
Grow and develop collaborative and engaged community partnerships to increase support for students and the University.
- Support the Central Valley Promise outcomes.
- Increase campus-community connections through service-learning, internships, short courses, continuing education, and community-based problem-solving research.
- Plan and launch a comprehensive campaign to support campus strategic priorities.
Learn more about the strategic planning process, key dates, and committee membership.
View the process » or Download the Strategic Plan Flyer »
The community's feedback is important and we invite you to share your ideas, suggestions and corrections on our efforts toward the University's Strategic Plan. Please submit feedback to Diana Ralls at firstname.lastname@example.org.
California State University, Fresno has roots dating back to 1911, when the doors of the Fresno State Normal School opened to 150 hopeful students. Today, the student population is more than 25,000 and the University has garnered national attention for its rise in college rankings. Learn more »