Since 2017, Fresno State has been engaged in a discussion around Principles of Community: How We Treat Each Other. Faculty and staff submitted more than 2,600 responses via an online poll and nearly 30 focus groups explored these principles further, helping to articulate the behaviors associated with the primary themes that emerged. Thank you to all who participated in this collaborative process.
The Workplace Quality Task force, which includes representatives from faculty, staff and administration, has created a draft Principles of Community document (below). An online tool is posted here where you can offer anonymous feedback and highlight words and phrases that you both like and dislike.
2018 Draft Principles of Community
Last Updated: updated 11/29/18
We all play a role in fostering a work and learning environment of respect, kindness,
collaboration and accountability where every student, faculty, staff and administrator
can thrive. Our Principles of Community reflect our core values of Discovery, Diversity and Distinction and our deep commitment to our mission to boldly educate and empower students for success. These Principles were developed collaboratively by faculty, staff and administrators
and exemplify what we can and should be.
WE ARE RESPECTFUL
We approach interpersonal interactions with collegiality and integrity.
- Value all employees and welcome their contributions.
- Listen with attention to all perspectives with the intent to understand.
- Consider the impact of our communication.
- Honor our word and commitments.
- Maintain confidentiality and privacy as appropriate.
WE ARE KIND
We foster a sense of belonging by demonstrating compassion, empathy, care and concern.
- Contribute to making Fresno State a welcoming community for all.
- Use words thoughtfully and be mindful of our actions.
- Assume good intentions.
- Acknowledge the contributions of others.
- Be patient and supportive.
WE ARE COLLABORATIVE
We work together to achieve common goals, support the greater good and embrace Fresno State’s mission.
- Build relationships to create a positive work and learning environment.
- Communicate to engage and be supportive of each other’s goals.
- Consider diverse ideas and opinions.
- Participate fully as a team member, do our share and make space for others to shine.
WE ARE ACCOUNTABLE
We hold ourselves and our colleagues accountable for behaviors and outcomes.
- Clearly communicate expectations and, when appropriate, jointly develop goals and objectives.
- Explain the purpose of decisions and actions.
- Share honest, meaningful feedback in a timely manner and receive feedback with an open mind.
- Own responsibility for our behaviors and actions.