Admission Requirements

The following describes in detail the requirements to apply to the Graduate degree program. This includes submitting completed separate applications for admission to the University and admission to a program within the Kremen School of Education and Human Development (KSOEHD)


Complete the California State University, Fresno application for graduate admission available online at: To complete your university application, you must also send:

  • One set of official transcripts from all colleges attended- Failure to provide official transcripts to Fresno State admissions will delay your program admission.
  • A $55.00 application fee to Fresno State- (please do not send checks with program application)

Please note: If you are a current continuing Post Baccalaureate student, please skip the “University Admission Requirement” section and go to “Program Admission Requirements”. You do not need to apply to the University unless you break enrollment.

Mail the above items to: University Admissions–Graduate, 5150 N. Maple Ave., M/S JA 57, Fresno, CA 93740. Your university admission status may be checked at

Apply to Fresno State



All documents required for program admission are to be assembled in one complete packet and submitted to the Education Student Services Center in the Education Building, ED 100.

Apply to Program


Application for Admission to the KSOEHD Graduate Program-

Fill in the required information, print, and submit with all other required documentation. Click here for application documents.

Back to Top


Documentation or proof of Application or Admission to Fresno State-

Please submit a copy of your receipt of Post Baccalaureate application if you are a new or returning Post Baccalaureate Student. The receipt will serve as proof of application. (Please do not send in a copy of your admission packet to Fresno State.) If you are a current student, please provide a copy of your unofficial transcripts.

Back to Top


Unofficial Transcripts-

Providing the program admissions office with copies of all transcripts expedites the admission process. Not a requirement, but much appreciated.

Back to Top


Minimum GPA of 3.0-

Graduate program applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 in the last 60 semester (90 quarter) units attempted and a minimum of a 3.0 on any Post Baccalaureate work at Fresno State. Failure to provide official transcripts to Fresno State admissions, will delay your program admission. The GPA will be verified by technician as the transcripts are received by Graduate Admissions. (See Unofficial Transcript info above)

Back to Top


Complete a Statement of Purpose-

This is a “1 to 2” page, typed statement of your purpose for applying to the program. Focus on your present situation and your short and long-term professional goals.

Back to Top


Provide Three (3) sealed Letters of Recommendation-

Include letters of reference and the attached form found in the program application from instructors, supervisors, or other individuals who are in a position to evaluate you in terms of your potential for graduate study in the program. Do not send separately.

Back to Top


Writing Competency-

You must meet this requirement by one of the following:

  • Obtaining a minimum score of a 41+ of the California Basic Education Skills Test (CBEST) writing portion or pass all sections of the entire test (provide a copy), OR
  • Passing all 3 sections of the Multiple Subject CSET test and the CSET writing skills test. (provide copy), OR
  • Obtaining a minimum passing score on the Upper Division Writing Examination (UDWE) (verified on Fresno State transcript), OR
  • Earning a grade of “B” or better in any "W" course taken at Fresno State.

For information regarding the UDWE, contact the Fresno State Office of Testing Services located in the Family and Food Sciences Building, Room 110 or call 559.278.2457.

To have courses that you have taken at another institution reviewed for substitution please fill out the "Substitution Request Form for ERA 153 and/or the Writing Competency". Follow the instructions carefully and turn in separately from the program application with all required documents.

Back to Top


Complete prerequisites from Fresno State with a grade of “C” or better-

It is recommended that these courses be completed or in progress prior to applying to the program. You must submit an unofficial transcript from Fresno State with the courses below highlighted for proof of completion.  The courses cannot be older than 10 years.

  • COUN 174 or PSYCH 174- Introduction to Counseling.
  • COUN 176- Counseling and Mental Health, or PSYCH 166 - Abnormal Psychology
  • ERA 153- Educational Statistics or it's Fresno State equivalent as verified on your Fresno State transcripts-PSYCH 144 or 143, SWRK 171 or 176, SOC125, DS 123, or HS 202.

You must submit a "Substitution Request Form" for equivalent prerequisite coursework taken at another institution. Please note that they must be Upper Division and cannot be older than 10 years.

  • Course substitution request form for ERA 153 and/or the Writing Competency. Courses submitted for substitution must be upper division taken at a 4 year institution.
  • Course substitution request form for COUN 174 and/or COUN 176. Do not submit for COUN 176 if you have taken an "Abnormal Psychology" course at another institution. The course just needs to be verified by turning in the transcript with the grade highlighted to ED 100 with your program application.

    Back to Top


TOEFL Score for International Students Only-

If you are an International Student the TOEFL is a requirement for admission to Fresno State. Verification of the TOEFL score is provided to the program by the International Admissions Office.

Back to Top


Pupil Personnel Services Credential Applicant Requirements-

This program isn't traditionally taken with the Rehabilitation Counseling program.  Please seek advisement with the Program Coordinator before applying to the PPS program.

Credential Applicants must complete the above, plus have met all the below requirements to be considered for the PPS. You will be denied if you have not met the requirements below:

  • Certificate of Clearance or valid California Teaching Credential- The California Commission on Teacher Credentialing requires that each individual who wishes to perform certified services in a California School provide facts which establish his/her true identity and good moral character.

     To apply for your Certificate of Clearance, please click here and follow
     the instructions carefully. Please include with the admission packet, a
     copy of the Certificate of Clearance obtained online after applying to
     the CTC. The certificate or credential may be downloaded at:

     It is not necessary to apply for character and identification clearance if
     you can present a copy of a valid California teaching credential or an
     Emergency or an Adult Education Credential.

  • Provide Evidence of passing CBEST- Applicants must include in their admissions packet a copy of the CBEST Permanent Verification Card.
  • Prerequisites COUN 174 and ERA 153 (See prereq info above for more details)

Back to Top