Skip to contentSkip to navigation

Application Requirements

The following describes in detail the requirements to apply to the Graduate degree program. This includes submitting completed separate applications for admission to the University and admission to a program within the Kremen School of Education and Human Development (KSOEHD)


Complete the California State University, Fresno application for graduate admission available online at: To complete your university application, you must also send:

  • One set of official transcripts from all colleges attended- Failure to provide official transcripts to Fresno State admissions will delay your program admission.
  • A $55.00 application fee to Fresno State- (please do not send checks with program application)

Please note: If you are a current continuing Post Baccalaureate student, please skip the “University Admission Requirement” section and go to “Program Admission Requirements”. You do not need to apply to the University unless you break enrollment.

Mail the above items to: University Admissions–Graduate, 5150 N. Maple Ave., M/S JA 57, Fresno, CA 93740. Your university admission status may be checked at

Apply to Fresno State



All documents required for program admission are to be assembled in one complete packet and submitted to the Education Student Services Center in the Education Building, ED 100.

Apply to Program


Application for Admission to the KSOEHD Graduate Program-

Fill in the required information, print, and submit with all other required documentation.  Apply to Program

Back to Top


Documentation or proof of Application or Admission to Fresno State-

Please submit a copy of your receipt of Post Baccalaureate application if you are a new or returning Post Baccalaureate Student. The receipt will serve as proof of application. (Please do not send in a copy of your admission packet to Fresno State.) If you are a current student, please provide a copy of your unofficial transcripts.  Apply to Fresno State

Back to Top


Unofficial Transcripts-

Providing the program admissions office with copies of all transcripts expedites the admission process. Not a requirement, but much appreciated.

Back to Top


Minimum GPA of 2.75-

Graduate program applicants must have a minimum GPA of 2.75 in the last 60 semester (90 quarter) units attempted and a minimum of a 2.75 on any Post Baccalaureate work at Fresno State. Failure to provide official transcripts to Fresno State admissions, will delay your program admission. The GPA will be verified by technician as the transcripts are received by Graduate Admissions. (See Unofficial Transcript info above)

Back to Top


Complete a Statement of Purpose-

This is a “1 to 2” page, typed statement of your purpose for applying to the program. Focus on your present situation and your short and long-term professional goals.

Back to Top


Provide Three (3) sealed Letters of Recommendation-

Include letters of reference and the attached form found in the program application from instructors, supervisors, or other individuals who are in a position to evaluate you in terms of your potential for graduate study in the program. Do not send separately.

Back to Top


Writing Competency-

You must meet this requirement by one of the following:

  • Obtaining a minimum score of a 41+ of the California Basic Education Skills Test (CBEST) writing portion or pass all sections of the entire test (provide a copy), OR
  • Passing all 3 sections of the Multiple Subject CSET test and the CSET writing skills test. (provide copy), OR
  • Obtaining a minimum passing score on the Upper Division Writing Examination (UDWE) (verified on Fresno State transcript), OR
  • Earning a grade of “B” or better in any "W" course taken at Fresno State. To have courses that you have taken at another institution or other “W” courses from Fresno State reviewed please click here and follow the instructions carefully.

For information regarding the UDWE, contact the Fresno State Office of Testing Services located in the Family and Food Sciences Building, Room 110 or call 559.278.2457. 

Back to Top




Early Childhood Education programs-Please contact Program Coordinator, Dr. Susan Macy for additional program prerequisites.

Back to Top

TOEFL Score for International Students Only-

If you are an International Student the TOEFL is a requirement for admission to Fresno State. Verification of the TOEFL score is provided to the program by the International Admissions Office.

Back to Top


Advanced Credential and Certificate Applicant Requirements-

Credential or Certificate Applicants must complete the above, plus have met all the requirements specific to your program listed below to be considered for the Advanced Credential or Certificate program.

  • For all Advanced Credentials you must provide evidence of passing CBEST- Applicants must include a copy of the CBEST Permanent Verification Card in the admissions packet. This is not a requirement for the Certificate of Advanced Study.
  • You must provide a copy of your valid California Multiple Subject, Single Subject, Education Specialist, or Pupil Personnel Services Credential to seek admission to the Preliminary Administrative Services Credential program. The Reading/ Language Arts Specialist Credential requires a copy of your valid California Multiple Subject, Single Subject or Education Specialist Credential. The Early Childhood Specialist program only accept the Multiple Subject credential as a prerequisite to their program. This is not a requirement for the Certificate of Advanced Study.

Below are the individual requirements in addition to any basic requirements listed above.

Certificate of Advanced Study in Educational Technology:

  • Submit a Change of Degree Objective form to the Division of Graduate Studies to add the Certificate to your program.  The form and directions can be found online at; under "Forms". 
  • Provide a copy of the Proposed Program for the Certificate of Advanced Study. This form can be downloaded at; under "Forms" and may be submitted after admission to the program.

The MA in Early Childhood and/ or Early Childhood Specialist Credential:

  • Verify with Program Coordinator your two years of experience at two levels of Early Childhood Education at the time the specialist credential is bestowed. (Credential only)
  • Applicants must be qualified for ECE Master Teaching permit (BA/BS plus 12 units of ECE or Child Development and 3 units of supervised ECE Fieldwork or a valid multiple subject teaching credential). Contact the Program Coordinator for more information.

Preliminary Administrative Services Credential:

  • Verify with Program Coordinator your five years of successful, full-time experience in public schools or in private schools of equivalent status.
  • Must have a conferred Master's degree or in progress in program.

Reading/Language Arts Specialist Credential:

  • Verify with Program Coordinator your three years of successful experience working under a credential at the time the specialist credential is bestowed.

Back to Top