Single Subject Credential Program
(Middle School and
High School Teaching)
Individuals may apply to a Single Subject Credential Program if they have a bachelor's degre from an accredited university or if they have obtained senior status or 90 units toward graduation. Candidates applying for the Single Subject Credential Program are expected to meet the admission requirements identified below. The following documentation must be returned to the Education Student Services Center, Education Building, Room 100.
All requirements are subject to change.
Attention Summer 2014 Applicants: The only class offered in Summer 2014 toward the Single Subject Credential Program is CI 149. If you take CI 149 this Summer, you can enter the two semester program in Fall 2014 as along as you meet all admission requirements.
You have the option of enrolling in CI 149 through Open University this summer or applying to the university for Summer 2014 and enrolling as a regular Fresno State student. Please speak with an advisor in the Education Student Services Center to determine the best option for you! You can schedule an appointment by calling (559) 278-0300.
*If you are a current Fresno State undergrad student that will be continuing as an undergrad or if you are a current Fresno State post-baccalaureate student that will be continuing as a post-baccalaureate, disregard this step.
*If you are an undergraduate student that is NOT currently enrolled at Fresno State and will be starting the credential program as an undergraduate, apply to the university as an undergraduate student and adhere to the university undergraduate application deadlines.
Students starting the credential program as a post-baccalaureate student, complete the California State University, Fresno application for Graduate Admission available online at www.csumentor.edu. Please refer to the CSU Mentor instructions for assistance in applying to the university.
To complete your university application, you must send:
1. One set of official transcripts from each college attended, excluding Fresno State. (Failure to provide official transcripts to University Admissions will delay your program admission). Transcripts are not required if the most recent school you attended was Fresno State.
2. A $55.00 application fee to Fresno State.
Mail the above items to the following address: University Admissions–Graduate; 5150 N. Maple Ave., M/S JA 57; Fresno, CA 93740-8026. Your university admission status may be checked at my.fresnostate.edu.
Program Admission Requirements
1) The first step to completing the program application is to apply online. To apply:
- Go to your Student Center at my.fresnostate.edu and login. If you do not have a username and password yet, you can create one on this page.
- Click on "Student Self Service" then click on "Student Center".
- Click on the green arrow next to "My Admissions and Program Applications".
- Click on the "Program Applications" link.
- Click on the green arrow next to "Available Teaching Credential Program Applications".
- Select the appropriate credential program application and click "Apply to Teaching Credential Program".
- Fill in the required information and click "submit application". (Once you submit, you cannot change the information or the program you are submitting for. You must call the Education Student Services Center at 559.278.0300 and request we clear your program application so you can resubmit.)
Please Note: This is only the first step to completing the program application!
2) The second step to completing the program application is submitting additional documents. Below you will find an explanation of the additional documents you need to submit to ED 100 in order to be considered for admission.
- Applicant Data Sheet
- Documentation of University Admission
- Orientation Session Attendance Form
- Verification of Pre-Program Field Experience (EHD 50/Waiver)
- Basic Skills Requirement
- GPA Requirement
- Admission Interview Form
- Medical Clearance Form
- Letters of Recommendation
- Advising Form
- Certificate of Clearance
- Application for EHD 155A
- Completion of CI 149
- Subject Matter Competency
- Program Adviser Contact Information
- Policy for Submitted Documents
- Appeal of Admission Decision Process
Complete all required information on the application data sheet.
Provide one of the following:
- Notice of application received from Fresno State
- Current transcripts from Fresno State showing courses in progress (unofficial transcripts accepted)
- Receipt of application fee paid to Fresno State
- On-line application receipt
NOTE: At the time of graduation with a baccalaureate degree you must reapply to the university as a post baccalaureate student.
Upcoming Single Subject Orientation Dates:
Thurs. February 20, 2014, 10:00-11:30am in ED 54
Tues. March 4, 2014, 1:00-2:30pm in ED 54
Tues. April 1, 2014, 4:00-5:30pm in ED 316
Tues. May 13, 2014, 3:00-4:30pm in ED 54
To sign up for an orientation session, go to the Education Student Services Center, Kremen School of Education and Human Development, Room 100, or call (559) 278-0300. You will receive a signed verification of attendance form at the orientation, which must be included in your admission application packet. The Orientation Attendance Form must be dated no more than one year prior to submitting your application.
This requirement is met by:
- Submitting evidence that you have successfully completed EHD 50: Introduction to Teaching at Fresno State
- Submitting evidence of successfully completing an equivalent course taken at another institution. For a list of equivalent courses, see the Pre-Program Field Experience Waiver Packet.
- Submitting a Verification of Pre-Program Field Experience Waiver Packet along with required documentation.
The candidate must meet this requirement by one of the following:
• Submit original score report showing a score of “college ready” or “exempt” in the English and Math sections of the Early Assessment Program (EAP)
• Submit original score report showing a score of 50 on the Entry Level Math (ELM) exam and 151 on the English Placement Test (EPT).
• The candidate can also submit a combination of the scores from the EAP and the EPT/ELM as long as they passed a section of the English and a section for Math.
• Take all three subtests of the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) and submit verification of having passed CBEST or, at a minimum, have passing scores on the Reading (41) and Writing (41). Please note: You must show proof of passing all three sections prior to Final Student Teaching. Registration and test information may be obtained at www.cbest.nesinc.com.
For admission, the candidate shall have attained a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.67 in all baccalaureate and post-baccalaureate coursework or a grade point average of at least 2.75 in the last 60 semester units attempted. (Failure to provide official transcripts to University Admissions will delay your program admission).
NOTE: A Special Consideration Form must be completed if your grade point average (GPA) does not meet the minimum requirement. Approval of Special Consideration requests is not guaranteed.
You must schedule your interview with your academic area advisor first. Submit the Interview Form and typed responses with your application. Once it has been determined that your application is complete, you will be contacted to schedule your final interview with the program coordinator.
Please word process your responses to the questions on the Admission Interview Form prior to your scheduled interviews. Turn in the written responses and signed form with your application.
The interview provides the Kremen School of Education and Human Development with the opportunity to welcome and assist you in setting goals for your own professional development. The purpose of the 20 minute interview is to provide you with an opportunity to demonstrate: verbal and written language skills, professional conduct, professional goals, and cultural awareness.
Take this form to the Fresno State Student Health Center or to a private physician or appropriate health agency to secure the signatures verifying a current TB skin test (within one year prior to application).
NOTE: We cannot accept your medical records to verify your TB test. You must have the actual Medical Clearance Form signed due to state mandated requirements.
Ask two instructors, supervisors or other individuals who know you professionally (ex. employer, teacher, etc.) to write a letter of recommendation on their personal or professional letterhead with recent date. Submit the two letters with your application packet. (Please do not have the letters sent directly to the Education Student Services Center.)
Schedule appointments with your Academic Area Advisor and a Single Subject Advisor to complete the Single Subject Advising Form and obtain appropriate signatures. You can schedule an appointment with a Single Subject Advisor by calling (559) 278-0300. It is helpful to obtain the required signatures on this form at the same time as your Application for EHD 155A.
The California Commission on Teacher Credentialing requires that each individual who wishes to perform certified services in a California school provide facts which establish his/her true identity and good moral character.
The Certificate of Clearance or approved permit must either be valid or expired for no more than 18 months while in the credential program and at the time that credential candidates apply to receive their credential per CTC regulations.
For instructions on obtaining a Certificate of Clearance, click on the Livescan/Certificate of Clearance Instructions.
Fill in the required information on the Application for EHD 155A and obtain a signature from your Academic Area Advisor and a Single Subject Advisor. You can schedule an appointment with a Single Subject Advisor by calling (559) 278-0300. It is helpful to obtain the required signatures on this form at the same time as your Advising Form.
Note: Subject Matter Competency is documented on the Application for EHD 155A by your Academic Area Advisor. Subject Matter Competency can be met by passing the appropriate CSET or taking specific coursework approved by your Academic Area Advisor.
Subject Matter Competency must be met prior to program admission.
The process of determining placements will not start until teacher candidates have met all requirements and are registered for the course. Some placement options will fill quickly. Location requests are considered but not guaranteed.
CI 149, Curriculum, Instruction, and Technology in Secondary Classrooms, can be completed as a pre-requisite to the Single Subject Credential Program OR taken in your first semester if you will be completing the three semester option.
NOTE: CI 149 must be completed prior to EHD 155A, Initial Student Teaching.
Subject Matter Competency can be met in one of two ways:
1. Pass the CSET for the appropriate subject area
(Please submit CSET scores to ED 100 if completing this option.)
2. Complete specific coursework approved by your Academic Area Advisor
Please Note: Subject Matter Competency must be met prior to program admission.
*If you have not met Subject Matter Competency, you can submit a Special Consideration Form with your application and request that an exception be made for you. Approval of special consideration requests is not guaranteed.
Single Subject Program Advisors
|Dr. Nancy Akhavan (Coordinator & Advisor)||ED 100||(559) 278-0300|
|Ms. Jessica Choy
|ED 100||(559) 278-0300|
|Mr. Johnny Conley
|ED 100||(559) 278-0300|
Academic Area Advisors
|Subject Area||Adviser||Email Address||Office Phone #||Dept. Phone #|
|Agriculture||Dr. Rosco Vaughnfirstname.lastname@example.org||(559) 278-5067||(559) 278-2971|
|Dr. Arthur Parhamemail@example.com||(559) 278-4332||(559) 278-2971|
|Dr. Steve Roccafirstname.lastname@example.org||(559) 278-5088||(559) 278-2971|
|Art||Dr. Dan Nadaneremail@example.com||(559) 278-2399||(559) 278-2516|
|Dr. Paulette Flemingfirstname.lastname@example.org||(559) 278-3000||(559) 278-2516|
|Business||Ms. Aimee McFarlandemail@example.com||(559) 278-4892||(559) 278-5643|
|English/Comp.||Dr. Alison Mandavillefirstname.lastname@example.org||(559) 278-4914||(559) 278-6578|
|English/Speech||Dr. Robert Powellemail@example.com||(559) 278-4216||(559) 278-2826|
|Ms. Barbara Astonfirstname.lastname@example.org||(559) 278-5413||(559) 278-2826|
|English/Drama||Ms. Kim Morinemail@example.com||(559) 278-4342||(559) 278-3987|
|French||Dr. Rosemarie Kuhnfirstname.lastname@example.org||(559) 278-6890||(559) 278-2386|
|Industrial Technology||Mr. Don Austinemail@example.com||(559) 278-6494||(559) 278-2145|
|Physical Education||Dr. David Kinnunenfirstname.lastname@example.org||(559) 278-7389||(559) 278-2016|
|Mathematics||Dr. Agnes Tuskaemail@example.com||(559) 278-2512||(559) 278-2992|
|Dr. Rajee Amarasinghefirstname.lastname@example.org||(559) 278-4136||(559) 278-2992|
|Dr. Lance Burgeremail@example.com||(559) 278-4906||(559) 278-2992|
|Music||Dr. Tony Mowrerfirstname.lastname@example.org||(559) 278-4260||(559) 278-2654|
|Science||Dr. Jaime Arvizuemail@example.com||(559) 278-5173||(559) 278-5466|
|Social Science||Dr. Lori Clunefirstname.lastname@example.org||(559) 278-8895||(559) 278-2153|
|Spanish||Dr. Jacinta Amaralemail@example.com||(559) 278-4595||(559) 278-2386|
|Dr. Debbie Avilafirstname.lastname@example.org||(559) 278-6616||(559) 278-2386|
|Dr. Ted Bergmanemail@example.com||(559) 278-4056||(559) 278-238|
Policy change effective January 1, 2009: Once documents are submitted to the Education Student Services Center, they become the property of the Kremen School of Education and Human Development. We suggest you make a copy of all items before submitting them. No documents will be returned once they have been submitted.
Applicants who have received written notification of denial of admission to the program have an opportunity to make a formal appeal for Special Consideration to the KSOEHD Admissions and Standards Committee. For Special Consideration review, the candidate shall have taken all three (3) CBEST subtests and submit verification of having passed CBEST or, at a minimum passing scores on the Reading (41) and Writing (41).