Education Specialist Credential Program
Individuals may apply to an Education Specialist Credential Program if they have a bachelor's degree from an accredited university or if they have obtained senior status or 90 units toward graduation (with the exception of the Blended Degree Program). Candidates applying for the Education Specialist Credential Program are expected to meet the admission requirements identified below. The following documentation must be returned to the Education Student Services Center, Education Building, Room 100.
All requirements are subject to change due to new legislative mandates.
*If you are a current Fresno State undergrad student that will be continuing as an undergrad or if you are a current Fresno State post-baccalaureate student that will be continuing as a post-baccalaureate, disregard this step.
*If you are an undergraduate student that is NOT currently enrolled at Fresno State and will be starting the credential program as an undergraduate, apply to the university as an undergraduate student and adhere to the university undergraduate application deadlines.
Students starting the credential program as a post-baccalaureate student, complete the California State University, Fresno application for Graduate Admission available online at www.csumentor.edu. Please refer to the CSU Mentor instructions for assistance in applying to the university.
To complete your university application, you must send:
1. One set of official transcripts from each college attended, excluding Fresno State. (Failure to provide official transcripts to University Admissions will delay your program admission). Transcripts are not required if the most recent school you attended was Fresno State.
2. A $55.00 application fee to Fresno State.
Mail the above items to the following address: University Admissions–Graduate; 5150 N. Maple Ave., M/S JA 57; Fresno, CA 93740-8026. Your university admission status may be checked at my.fresnostate.edu.Apply to Fresno State
Program Admission Requirements
- Admission Requirements for Adding an Education Specialist Credential onto an existing Multiple or Single Subject Credential (If you do not already hold a credential, disregard this step).
- Applicant Data Sheet
- Documentation of University Admission
- Orientation Session Attendance Form
- Verification of Pre-Program Field Experience (EHD 50/Waiver)
- Basic Skills Requirement
- CSET Scores
- GPA Requirement
- Admission Interview Form
- Medical Clearance Form
- Letters of Recommendation
- Advising Form
- Certificate of Clearance
- Field Placement Information Sheet
- Financial Aid Petition (if applying for financial aid)
- Program Adviser Contact Information
- Policy for Submitted Documents
- Appeal of Admission Decision Process
If you already possess a Multiple Subject or Single* Subject Credential and would like to add an Education Specialist Credential, complete only the following items:
- Complete Application Data Sheet
- Submit Verification of Attendance of SPED Orientation
- Submit Copy of Preliminary or Professional (Clear) Credential
- Submit verification of University Admission
- Complete Practicum Application
- Submit copy of Advising Form for appropriate program with signature
*Single Subject advising needed for Subject Matter Competency
Complete all required information on the application data sheet.
Provide one of the following:
- Notice of application received from Fresno State
- Current transcripts from Fresno State showing courses in progress (unofficial transcripts accepted)
- Receipt of application fee paid to Fresno State
- On-line application receipt
NOTE: At the time of graduation with a baccalaureate degree you must reapply to the university as a post baccalaureate student.
Upcoming Education Specialist Program Orientation Dates:
Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 3:00pm in ED 10
Wednesday, April 24, 2013, 1:00pm in ED 10
Monday, May 6, 2013, 2:00pm in ED 10
To sign up for an orientation session, go to the Education Student Services Center, Kremen School of Education and Human Development, Room 100, or call (559) 278-0300. You will receive a signed verification of attendance form at the orientation, which must be included in your admission application packet. The Orientation Attendance Form must be dated no more than one year prior to submitting your application.
This requirement is met by:
- Submitting evidence that you have successfully completed EHD 50: Introduction to Teaching at Fresno State
- Submitting evidence of successfully completing an equivalent course taken at another institution. For a list of equivalent courses, see the Pre-Program Field Experience Waiver Packet.
- Submitting a Verification of Pre-Program Field Experience Waiver Packet along with required documentation.
The candidate must meet this requirement by one of the following:
• Submit original score report showing a score of “college ready” or “exempt” in the English and Math sections of the Early Assessment Program (EAP)
• Submit original score report showing a score of 50 on the Entry Level Math (ELM) exam and 151 on the English Placement Test (EPT).
• The candidate can also submit a combination of the scores from the EAP and the EPT/ELM as long as they passed a section of the English and a section for Math.
• Take all three subtests of the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) and submit verification of having passed CBEST or, at a minimum, have passing scores on the Reading (41) and Writing (41). Please note: You must show proof of passing all three sections prior to Final Student Teaching. Registration and test information may be obtained at www.cbest.nesinc.com.
• Submit verification of passing the California Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET): Writing Skills exam and CSET: Multiple Subject exam. Registration information may be obtained at www.cset.nesinc.com.
The candidate shall have taken and passed all three (3) Multiple Subject CSET subtests and have submitted verification of having passed CSET. A copy of your current CSET scores must be included in your application. Registration and test information may be obtained at www.cset.nesinc.com
NOTE: For “true” blending students (Liberal Studies majors who will start the credential program as an undergraduate Liberal Studies student), the candidate shall have taken and passed all three (3) subtests of CSET PRIOR to applying to final student teaching.
NOTE: A Special Consideration Form must be completed if the required CSET tests have not been met.
For admission, the candidate shall have attained a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.67 in all baccalaureate and post-baccalaureate coursework or a grade point average of at least 2.75 in the last 60 semester units attempted. (Failure to provide official transcripts to University Admissions will delay your program admission).
NOTE: A Special Consideration Form must be completed if your grade point average (GPA) does not meet the minimum requirement.
Please word process your responses to the questions on the Admission Interview Form prior to your scheduled interview. You may sign up for an interview at the Kremen School of Education and Human Development Building, Room 250 or call (559) 278-0240. Turn in the written responses and signed form with your application.
In addition, complete the "application" section of the Dispositions Self-Assessment and bring it with you to your interview.
The interview provides the Kremen School of Education and Human Development with the opportunity to welcome and assist you in setting goals for your own professional development. The purpose of the 20 minute interview is to provide you with an opportunity to demonstrate: verbal and written language skills, professional conduct, professional goals, and cultural awareness.
Take this form to the Fresno State Student Health Center or to a private physician or appropriate health agency to secure the signatures verifying a current TB skin test (within one year prior to application).
NOTE: We cannot accept your medical records to verify your TB test. You must have the actual Medical Clearance Form signed due to state mandated requirements.
Ask two instructors, supervisors or other individuals who know you professionally (ex. employer, teacher, etc.) to write a letter of recommendation on their personal or professional letterhead with recent date. Submit the two letters with your application packet. (Please do not have the letters sent directly to the Education Student Services Center.)
Select the appropriate Advising Form for your program. Please sign and submit the form with your admission packet.
- Education Specialist Mild/Moderate Advising Form
- Education Specialist Mild/Moderate Intern Advising Form
- Education Specialist Moderate/Severe Advising Form
- Education Specialist Moderate/Severe Intern Advising Form
The California Commission on Teacher Credentialing requires that each individual who wishes to perform certified services in a California school provide facts which establish his/her true identity and good moral character.
The Certificate of Clearance or approved permit must either be valid or expired for no more than 18 months while in the credential program and at the time that credential candidates apply to receive their credential per CTC regulations.
For instructions on obtaining a Certificate of Clearance, click on the Livescan/Certificate of Clearance Instructions.
All program applicants must complete a Field Placement Information Sheet. The process of determining placements will not start until teacher candidates are cleared and registered. Some placement options will fill quickly. Location requests are considered but not guaranteed
If you are applying for financial aid, it is likely that you will need to fill out a petition form due to the number of units required for this program. After you have been admitted, but before you complete 30 units in the program, see the Financial Aid Office in Joyal, room 296 for the appropriate form.
- Janell Morillo, Adviser
- Jessica Choy, Adviser
- Johnny Conley, Adviser
Mr. Rich Firpo, Teacher Internship Program (TIP) Coordinator
Dr. Colleen Torgerson, Central Valley Partnership for Exemplary Teachers (CPET) Co-Coordinator
Ms. Janine Quisenberry, Central Valley Partnership for Exemplary Teachers (CPET) Co-Coordinator
Policy change effective January 1, 2009: Once documents are submitted to the Education Student Services Center, they become the property of the Kremen School of Education and Human Development. We suggest you make a copy of all items before submitting them. No documents will be returned once they have been submitted.
Applicants who have received written notification of denial of admission to the program have an opportunity to make a formal appeal for Special Consideration to the KSOEHD Admissions and Standards Committee. For Special Consideration review, the candidate shall have taken all three (3) CBEST subtests and submit verification of having passed CBEST or, at a minimum passing scores on the Reading (41) and Writing (41).