Skip to contentSkip to navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

How to Apply

How do I apply to a graduate program?

There are a few things you need to do in order to apply to program.

The first step is to apply online to the university at: and pay the online fee if applicable. (Some students are eligible for a fee waiver.) View for information on Liberal Studies.

  1. The next step is the program application process. The instructions on how to apply can be found on our application page: Find the program you are interested in and links to the program requirements and forms. Make sure you are reading everything carefully so you don't miss any steps. 
  2. You will need to bring in or mail the program documentation that is listed in the admission requirements pages to ED 100 in the Kremen School of Education and Human Development.
  3. Lastly, if you have attended universities other than Fresno State you will need to have official transcripts for ALL institutions sent to University Graduate Admissions. Unofficial transcripts can accompany your program application, but all official must be sent to University Graduate Admissions directly.
  4. Mail your program application to:
    1. Attn: Center for Advising and Student Services
      Kremen School of Education and Human Development
      5005 North Maple Ave. M/S ED701
      Fresno, CA 93740
  5. Mail official transcripts to Graduate Admissions:
    1. Attn: University Graduate Admissions
      Fresno State
      5150 North Maple. Ave. M/S JA57
      Fresno, CA 93740
  6. International Students should contact the International admissions office at 559.278.2409 for specific information regarding mailing and applying.

How do I apply to a credential program?

There are three simple steps to apply to the credential program:

  1. Meet with an adviser to discuss credential program options. You can set up an appointment with an adviser in ED 100 or by calling 559.278.0300. This is not a requirement, but may be helpful as you plan for your future.
  2. Apply to the University on Cal State Apply. Please see program application instructions - not all students are required to apply to the University (Liberal Studies blending students). You can find the University application at:
  3. Complete the credential program application requirements. Make sure all necessary signatures from coordinators and/or advisors are obtained.
  4. Please note that you cannot be admitted to the program if items from your application are incomplete or missing.

Who can I contact for help with my Cal State Apply application?

For help completing your Cal State Apply application you may:

Call: 1.857.304.2087
On campus you may contact Graduate Admissions at 559.278.4073.

I applied to the university through Cal State Apply; what's next?

You will need to finish the application process by filling out a program application. (Liberal Studies applicants do not have to complete a program application, just the university application. Current Liberal Studies students, pursuing a credential must fill out a program application.) Turn in all required documents listed in the instructions to ED 100, or mail the application packet to:

Attn: Center for Advising and Student Services
Kremen School of Education and Human Development
5005 North Maple Ave. M/S ED701
Fresno, CA 93740

I am a current Fresno State student; do I still need to apply to the university?

If you are a current Post Baccalaureate student and are currently enrolled and taking courses in a program, you do not need to reapply to Fresno State, but you do need to turn in a program application. If admitted to a program, you will be instructed on what to submit to Fresno State to either change or add your new program.  Students graduating with their Bachelor's degree will need to apply to University as a Post Baccalaureate student.

Do I need to provide official transcripts if I am a Fresno State student?

Only students who have attended universities other than Fresno State or attended another institution after attending Fresno State or attended Fresno State more than five years prior are required to provide official transcripts to the University Graduate Admissions office.  If you have attended Fresno State within the last five years, you may submit unofficial transcripts with your program application to assist with expediting the process in a timely manner; official copies are not required.
To send official transcripts to the university:

Attn: Graduate Admissions
Fresno State
5150 North Maple Ave. M/S JA 57
Fresno, CA 93740

What should I include with my statement of purpose?

In your statement of purpose you should provide relevant information about yourself including goals, objectives, and experiences related to the master's degree and/or advanced credential/certificate program to which you are applying. Please focus primarily on your short term and long-term professional goals. You may attach additional pages if necessary. Your statement of purpose should be typed; 1-2 pages max, and does not have to be submitted on the form provided in the application.

Does the evaluation form suffice as a letter of recommedation?

The form alone is not acceptable. The evaluation form is required for most of our programs accompanied by a letter of recommendation on letterhead and is to be sealed with the letter from the person who is filling it out. If you have three letters of recommendation but no evaluation forms, the program you are applying to could request evaluation forms or deny you based on your letters being "weak". The evaluators you have chosen to write your letters of recommendation can be the same evaluators you choose to fill out your evaluation forms; you do not need all new evaluators.

How can I meet the writing competency?

There are several ways to meet the writing competency:

  • Obtaining a score of a 41+ on the California Basic Education Skills Test (CBEST) writing portion OR pass all sections of the entire test (provide a copy)
  • Passing all 3 sections of the Multiple Subject CSET test and the CSET writing skills test (provide copy)
  • Obtaining a minimum score of 114+ on the Upper Division Writing Examination (UDWE) (verified on Fresno State transcript)
  • Earning a grade of “B” or better in any "W" course at Fresno State

For information about the UDWE please contact Family and Food Sciences Building, Room 110, or call 559.278.2457. To have courses that you have taken at another institution reviewed please fill out the "Writing Competency Substitution Request form".

I took a writing course at another institution; will it count for the writing competency?

If you feel that a course you took would be a good replacement for the writing competency, you can request a course substitution. The form can be found under the Applications and Forms section of this website. It is called the "Writing Competency substitution Request form".

You will need to submit the form, a copy of unofficial transcripts with the grade of the class you wish to substitute posted, a catalog description of the course, the syllabus from the course, and a writing sample to ED 100 in the Kremen School of Education and Human Development.

**Do not submit this form if you have passed the CBEST OR passed just the writing portion of the CBEST with a 41 or better OR passed the Upper Division Writing Exam (UDWE) or passed any "W" course at Fresno State with a B or better.

I missed the deadline to turn in my graduate degree application. What do I do?

First you need to go to the Division of Research and Graduate Studies in the Frank W. Thomas buildng in TA 130. You will need their permission to turn in a late application. Next, you will go to ED 100 for a signature from the Graduate Admissions Analyst. 

Then you will go to Joyal Administration to pay the application fee as well as a late fee. Lastly you will take your receipt and application back to the Division of Research and Graduate Studies to turn in.

Back to Top


Application Processing

How long will it be before I hear back with an acceptance or denial to program?  

The approximate waiting time for students to hear back on their program status is 8-12 weeks once your application is turned in, assuming all documents have been turned in with the application and transcripts have been sent to the university. We try our best to get an answer back to students in as timely a manner as possible, so it does help when students have their entire program packet complete with all required documents and all official transcripts sent to the university if applicable. Your status will come through email, so check your emails periodically for a “Program Status” email. Also, be sure to check spam mail, junk mail, etc. for this email. Unfortunately, these emails from the university are sometimes sent straight to those folders.

I have not met all or some of the prerequisite courses; will that affect my status?

The decision will be up to the people who review your file. Your application will be reviewed and you will either be admitted, admitted conditionally or be denied until you can meet those requirements.

The Center for Advising and Student Services (ED 100) does not take part in the decision process for admittance of students, just the recording of the information submitted by the applicant.

I received a letter stating I was “conditionally admitted” to the program. What does this mean?

Congratulations! This means that you were accepted to the program and may start in the term you applied for, but you have some conditions to meet first. There is a list of requirements in your Student Center under your "To Do's" that you need to complete BEFORE you finish 9 units of actual program coursework. Conditions usually are completing program prerequisites, meeting the writing competency, or completing the first 9 units of program with a grade of "B" or better. Once you have completed your conditions in that first semester, bring unofficial transcripts, test scores, etc. as proof of doing so into ED 100 so that you may be classified in program.

What does it mean to be classified?

Being classified means that a student has met all conditions required of them to be in a program and is "Fully Admitted". For example, if a student is “conditionally admitted” to program with the condition of completing the first 9 units of program with a B or better, then he/she will gain classified status once he/she can prove those conditions are met and has an overall Postbaccalaureate GPA of a 3.0 or better. Unofficial transcripts should be turned in to ED 100 for proof of completing conditions. It is important to be classified because a student is not fully admitted to program until all conditions of program admission have been met and cannot be approved for advancement to candidacy, register for project/thesis, apply to graduate, etc. until they have been classified.

How do I get classified in program?

The Graduate Admissions Analyst will take care of the “Classified Standing Request” form on your behalf so you do not need to worry about this form. However, you do need to provide proof of meeting the conditions listed in your program status notification you received, By submitting unofficial transcripts, test scores, etc. to ED 100. You cannot be classified by our Graduate Admissions Analyst until you have given ED 100 proof of completion of conditions. If you have questions about the program conditions on your admittance letter, please call 559.278.0300.

I was previously denied to program but want to reapply. What steps do I need to follow?

If a student is denied to program and wants to reapply, he/she should follow the same steps as before in applying to program. Apply to both the university and the program; a new program application and all new required documents are necessary. No documents from the previous application will be given back to the student if he/she is denied. 

Back to Top



I was admitted to the program; when can I start registering for courses?

If you have been admitted to program, be sure to check your “My Fresno State Portal” periodically. Under the Student Center there will be an Enrollment Appointment listed under the “Enrollment Dates” section of the Student Center once priority registration time is near. If you are admitted after the priority enrollment dates have passed, open enrollment should be in effect.

I am not sure about which classes I should take. Where can I get help?

If you are unsure about coursework, the best thing to do would be to make an appointment with your assigned adviser. This assigned adviser is named in the program status email you received when you were accepted to program. Program advisers are there to assist you with picking classes for the semester, filling out advancement to candidacies, etc. If ever you feel you need assistance with a concern while in program, feel free to contact your adviser. The contact information of your program adviser was also sent in the program status email if you would like to contact the adviser directly, or you can call the department office of your program to make an appointment.

How do I register for classes?

To register for classes visit:

You will be able to:

  • Add/Drop Dealine
  • Class Search
  • Plan Your Schedule
  • Class Grading Options
  • Registration and Payment Deadlines 

How do I register for project or thesis?

In order to register for project or thesis (culmination experience) you will need to obtain a permission number from ED 100. To obtain a permission number for thesis you will need to have the first three chapters of your thesis with your committee assignment sheet (form is found on the Division of Graduate Studies website) turned into ED 100. 

For Project you will need your project proposal signed and turned in to ED100. 

For registration in any Culminating Experience you must have your Advancement to Candidacy on file with ED 100 as well.

When it comes to actually registering for the course, the first thing to do is log into your Fresno State Portal and go to the Student Center. From there you will click on “My Academic Records and Registration” and click on the link “Class Enrollment.” From there it will prompt you to add the class number that was provided to you, and then you will add the permission number.

Back to Top


Tuition and Financial Aid

How much does the program cost?

There is $55 application fee for the university application that is submitted online at: DO NOT SEND IT WITH YOUR PROGRAM APPLICATION. 

There is a section on the university application to apply for a fee waiver. You will need to follow the instructions and determine whether or not you qualify. There is no fee for the program application. Click here to learn more about tuition and fees.

Back to Top


Fresno State Portal

I cannot log into my Fresno State portal. What do I do?

You can call the Student Help Desk at 559.278.7000. They can help you get logged back in to your account to access personal information, unofficial transcripts, etc.

Back to Top


Credentials and Certificates

When and where can I sign up to take the CBEST?

You can sign up to take the CBEST at Dates and current fee information are also listed on our Fresno State Testing Services website. 
If you are taking the CBEST for means of meeting the writing competency, either passing the entire CBEST or taking just the writing portion and earning a 41 or better will meet the requirement.

If you are taking it for advanced credentials, etc. all sections need to be passed.

Is Test Prep Available?

There are several sources for test preparation. Test prep booklets are available to buy through the Kennel Bookstore or to check-out through the Henry Madden Library. CBEST tutoring is also available for current Fresno State students through the Learning Resource Center 559.278.3052. A CSET preparation course is also available for Multiple Subject applicants; please see an adviser for availability. For online test prep, visit

What is a certificate of clearance?

The Certificate of Clearance is verification that a student has completed the fingerprint, or, Live Scan process. It is required of students who plan to work in a K-12 setting. For more information, please visit: If required, a copy of the certificate of clearance needs to be submitted with the program application.

To obtain a Certificate of Clearance, you must first complete the Live Scan process. You would then apply for the certificate online through the Commission on Teacher Credentialing ( It will take approximately 2-3 weeks once the Live Scan process is complete and you have created an online direct application through the CTC.

A Certificate of Clearance is valid for 5 years.


What is a medical clearance form?

The medical clearance is to certify that the applicant has been tested for active tuberculosis within the last year and the results were negative. This form can be signed by the Student Health Center on campus or by a private physician

(EC44336 – This student is “free from any contagious and communicable disease or defect unfitting the applicant to instruct or associate with children.”)

Unfortunately, test results from a private physician or health care center are not acceptable. It is a state requirement that students turn in the medical clearance form in the credential program packet and only that medical clearance form. If you have proof of your TB test results you can take the results and the medical clearance form to the Student Health Center on campus to have the medical clearance form signed.

The medical clearance form must be no older than 1 year from the time it is turned into ED 100 with the credential program application.

I have already done a Live Scan for employment, etc. Do I need to do it again?

It depends; if you have completed the Live Scan process and the results were sent to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC), then you would need to go to the CTC website ( and print your Clearance.

If your Live Scan results were not sent to the CTC, they will need to be completed again.

Can I start the credential program as an undergraduate?

Yes, a student can start the credential program as an undergraduate. If you are blending your undergraduate program with the credential program, you should fill out the credential program application as normal. You do NOT need to reapply to the University on Cal State Apply until you have completed your undergraduate degree requirements.

*Please note: You must have 90 units toward your BA degree completed prior to admission

How do I apply for an advanced credential or certificate with my Master’s program?

Applying for an advanced credential or certificate with a Master’s program is simple; all you need to do is check the box of the credential you wish to apply for on the program application and bring those additional required documents for the credential in with the rest of the program application. Every credential is different and so are the requirements; be sure to check the advanced credential and/or certificate admission requirements listed in the program application instructions. 

I already have a Master’s degree; do I have to do another program? Can I just do the credential?

If you already have a Master’s degree and you would just like to earn an advanced credential, you can do so. If you strongly feel that you would like to do another Master’s program, then we suggest speaking with a program adviser. However, if you already have a Master’s in one area, you cannot obtain another one. 

Do I need to have an advanced credential or certificate with my Master’s?

No, if you have questions about earning an advanced credential or certificate along with your degree and whether the credential is recommended to accompany the program, you should seek advice from your assigned program adviser.

I just want to add a credential; what do I do?

Make sure you fill out the change or add application-Click here and that you submit the requirements for the credential.

  • For the PPS you must be classified in your program.  You must also submit a copy of a valid Certificate of Clearance or valid California Teaching Credential, COUN 174 and ERA 153 completed and a copy of the CBEST passed. We will NOT accept anything in progress.
  • For the Preliminary Administrative Services, the Early Childhood Education and the Reading/Language Arts Credentials you must have 2-3 years teaching experience and must hold the proper California Teaching Credential.  This information can be found on the program application webpage.  Click here and scroll to Advanced Credential and Certificate Applicant Requirements or Individual requirements or notes for the Master, Advanced Credential or Certificate programs.
  • For the Clear Education Specialist in Mild/Moderate and or Moderate/Severe you should contact the Program Coordinator for Special Education and make sure you have completed and received the Level I or Preliminary Education Specialist Credential.

What if I want to get more than one credential?

Students that are interested in obtaining more than one credential have several options:

  • If you are interested in adding a Single Subject Credential onto an existing Single Subject or Multiple Subject, you would need to complete CI 161: Methods and Materials in the appropriate subject area and complete subject matter competency by passing the appropriate CSET or completing approved coursework in the appropriate subject area.
  • If you are interested in adding the Multiple Subject Credential to an existing Single Subject Credential, you would need to complete all three sections of the multiple subject CSET, pass the RICA exam, and enroll in the following courses: Curriculum and Instruction in TK-8 contexts and Literacy Instruction, Assessment, and Observation in TK-8.
  • If you are interested in an Education Specialist Credential and have already completed a California teaching credential program, not all admission requirements are needed. Please meet with an advisor to determine coursework specific to your individual path.
  • If you are interested in obtaining the Multiple Subject AND the Education Specialist credentials simultaneously, you can apply for the DUAL program. This program is typically 4 semesters, 63 units of coursework, and combines Multiple Subject and Education Specialist coursework.

Are there internships available for credential students?

There are paid internships available to credential students! Students must be enrolled in the credential program and have prerequisites for the internship program completed in order to be eligible. Please visit the Internship Program website.

What is Pre-Program Field Experience?

To be admitted to a credential program, you must verify that you have had a supervised field experience. ONLY ONE of the following is necessary to meet this requirement:

  1. Evidence that you have successfully completed EHD 50: Introduction to Teaching at Fresno State
  2. Evidence of successfully completing an equivalent course taken at another institution.
  3. Verification of Pre-Program Field Experience Form

How do I get placed for student teaching?

The Field Placement Office is responsible for making all student teaching placements. The ONLY program that allows students to request a preference for initial student teaching is the Single Subject credential program. All other credential students will only be allowed preference for final student teaching placement. For more information please contact Field Placement at 559.278.0315.

What takes place during student teaching?

Student teaching is a gradual process that involves classroom observation, group work in small groups with students, lesson plans, and teaching the entire class. Hours vary for student teaching depending on the phase and credential program you are enrolled in.

How many hours are required for student teaching?

*Please note that some programs have more student teaching phases than others.

  Single Subject Multiple Subject Dual Special Education

Phase 1



TBD-Student consults with iPOP instructor TBD-Student consults with iPOP instructor



Phase 2


Entire School day


TBD-3 full days a week TBD-3 full days a week

TBD-Student meets with adviser

(16 hours per week)

Phase 3



Entire school day


Entire school day (in a k-6 placement)


Entire school day

Phase 4




Entire school day (in an Ed. Specialist placement)


Back to Top


Counseling and PPS Credential

I took a course similar to one or more of the prerequisites at another institution; will it count as a substitute? 

If you feel that a course you took would be a good replacement for a required course, or the writing competency, you can submit a course substitution form:

If the substitution you request is for a writing course, a writing sample is required. 

We do ask that you please highlight the prerequisites in the unofficial transcripts from your program application so that they are easily noticeable.

Please note, depending on the substitution there are TWO locations that the form or forms must be turned into.  Follow the directions carefully on the form. You are responsible for this process.

When do I apply for an internship to complete my hours?

Once you have passed coun208, obtained your Certificate of Clearance and enroll into COUN 249- School Counseling Field Placement course, you can choose your field placement/internship site

  • Please note: You will need to obtain a permission number by a COUN 249 professor to enroll into their course. You will not be able to add the course without a permission number.
  • Before you begin your field placement hours, make sure you get your internship site approved by your COUN 249 professor.

What does a COUN 249 class entail?

You will meet once every two weeks as a class. Typically, your duties will include presenting a case study, completing chapter assignments, discussing your site responsibilities and other assignments based on your Professor’s syllabus.

How many hours are required?

There is a total of 600 hours required for the PPS Credential. The student must complete a minimum of 200 hours at two levels (ex. High school and Elementary).

  • Since COUN249 is an 8-unit course, the student has the option to complete all 600 hours within one semester by enrolling into the 8-unit course or the student can complete 300 hours in the Fall and 300 hours in the Spring, with the 4-unit option for each semester. 

  • The student has the option to choose the school levels in which he/she would like to complete the field placement hours. Make sure to get ideas approved and finalized by your COUN 249 professor prior to beginning your internship hours.

Where can I complete my internship hours?

The student must complete minimum of 200 hours in one school level (e.g. high school) and minimum of 200 hours in other school level (e.g. middle school) and remaining 200 hours can be distributed as per student’s choice in these two levels or other educational setting.

  • Remember to get your site approved by your COUN 249 professor before beginning your hours.

How many hours a week should I work at my internship site?

This would depend on your schedule and also how many clock hours you intend to complete. Visit with your site counselor to work on a schedule that fits your needs.

What happens if I cannot find an internship site?

When a student cannot find an internship site, your COUN 249 professor will refer you to a school site where you can complete your hours.

  • Students typically complete their hours in the elementary, middle, or high school site they attended during their K-12 education. Some choose a school within the school district they plan to apply for, however, there are many measure students take when choosing an internship placement.

  • To apply at Fresno Unified contact Yolanda Juarez

What happens if I cannot complete the hours at the end of the semester?

If you do not complete your hours by the end of the semester, your COUN 249 professor may give you an extension, depending on the number of hours remaining.

  • An “RP” grade will be given to students who complete at least 150 hours. If you do not complete the minimum number of hours for that semester, you will be given an “NC” grade

What are my options in terms of receiving credit for a culminating experience?

A culminating experience, COUN 298-Project, or COUN 299-Thesis, or Comprehensive Examination is required to attain the MS in School Counseling.

How do I obtain a certificate of clearance?

Please access this form for further guidance. 

What do I do once I complete all coursework for PPS Credential?

STEP 1: The student must access the Completion form

STEP 2: Email PPS completion form with an unofficial transcripts to the PPS Coordinator, Dr. Gitima Sharma at:

STEP 3: The PPS Coordinator will evaluate and sign the form and email the form to the student and the Credential Analyst.

STEP 4: Go to this link to access the credential application and instructions.

STEP 5: The student will follow the instructions on the credential application and submit a completed application packet back to the Credential Analyst for processing.

Back to Top


Graduate Programs 

What is the advancement to candidacy form?

An advancement to candidacy form is like a contract; it states which courses you have taken and/or plan to take in order to meet the requirements for the degree you are earning. Advancements should be typed, and it is recommended that students fill out their advancement to candidacy forms with their advisers to be sure it is error free.

When do I need to do my advancement to candidacy form?

You can find the form online at: It needs to be typed and not hand written. Fill out your Advancement to Candidacy with your adviser, have them sign the form, you sign it, then bring it to ED 100 where we will verify your status, sign the form with the Graduate Programs Coordinator's signature and submit it to the Division of Graduate Studies for processing.

You can turn in your advancement to candidacy after you have completed 9 units in the program with a B or better and complete the Graduate Writing Requirement.

I want to switch to a different Master’s program; how do I do that?

If you would like to switch to another program outside of the Kremen School of Education and Human Development you will need to check with the department office of the new program to see what they require of you. Contact our office at 559.278.0300 to let us know that you will no longer be attending our program.

If you are switching between programs within the Kremen School of Education and Human Development, you will need to be classified in the program you are currently in before you can switch to another one of Kremen School's graduate programs. If you are in any of the Counselor Ed programs, the form you are looking for is the "Program Change Request - Counseling". If you are in the Education programs, the form you are looking for is the "Program Change Request - Education". 

Most programs require you to write a statement of purpose justifying why you are switching programs and unofficial transcripts.  If the program requires documentation that we do not have on file, we will request that from you.You will be notified via email with the outcome of the program's decision and told what additional steps are needed to change your degree objective with Fresno State.  Do not attempt to do this step until program admits you.

What is a program adjustment form?

A program adjustment form adjusts changes made to your program coursework that were approved on your advancement to candidacy form. For example, if you wrote down a certain elective you planned to take on your advancement to candidacy but you decide to take another elective instead, you will need to do a program adjustment form. You do not have to fill out an adjustment form if there is a change in the semester/term you take the courses, only if the courses themselves change.

Back to Top


Teacher Internship Program

What are the prerequisites for the Internship Program?

  1. Undergraduate Degree from an accredited college/university
  2. Complete a course in the U.S. Constitution or pass an approved exam
  3. Admission to our Credential Program
  4. Meet the Subject Matter Competency either by CSET exam or coursework
  5. Prerequisite coursework:Recommendation from Single Subject Academic Advisor or Program Coordinator for SPED applicants.
  6. A complete Teacher Internship Program application
  • Single Subject may vary based on the subject you are pursuing. To learn more about admission requirements click here
  • Multiple Subject: EHD 50, CI 100, LEE 159
  • Education Specialist: Please contact Cheryl McDonald

Do I need to have all CSETs passed before I can become an Intern?

Fresno State Liberal Studies graduates (Spring 2016 or after) do not need to take CSETs if they are pursuing a Multiple Subject, Dual or Education Specialist credential.

How do I apply for the Internship Program?

How long does it take for my application to be processed?

Your complete application will be processed within 3-5 days.

How long is the Internship Program?

The Internship program is two semesters. If you become an Intern in your last phase of the Credential Program, your Final Student Teaching will be split into two semesters.

Is there a program fee?

There is a flat fee of $1600 per semester, effective spring 2019. There is an additional mileage fee for school sites that are more than 15 miles from the Kremen School of Education and Human Development. Some districts may choose to pay part or all of the Intern fee.

Are there any other fees I should be aware of?

Once you are admitted to the Internship Program, you will directed to apply for the Teacher Internship Credential in ED 100. Credential application processing fee is $25.00. This fee is non-refundable.

The current CTC fee is $102.50. You will pay approximately $52.50 if you hold a current Certificate of Clearance.

Will I take different classes if I go through the Internship Program?

Your student teaching may be a little different depending on how early you start the program. Completion of an internship program results in the same credential as is earned through a traditional program.

I have been offered a teaching job, what is my next step?

If you are enrolled in the Credential Program AND you meet the minimum intern eligibility requirements, submit a TIP application. If you are not enrolled in the Credential Program, click here for information on the application process. If you are not sure if you meet the eligibility requirements, you may contact the Internship office 559.278.0232 or

Will the Teacher Internship Program find me a placement?

No, all students are responsible for finding their own placements. At times, district will contact our office inquiring about applicants in certain subject areas. With your permission, we can share your contact information with school districts.

I was just hired under a STSP/PIP, what should I do?

STSP/PIPs are offered through your district. These permits give you one year to become intern eligible. If you are not in the Credential program yet, apply. If you are enrolled in the Credential program and have a regular student teaching placement, contact the Office of Clinical practice to let them know that you have been hired.

Once you become intern eligible or your STSP/PIP expires, you will need to apply for the Teacher Internship Program.

I was just hired and my district is asking for an MOU?

The district Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) is the agreement between Fresno State, the hiring district and the Intern. Submit a program application and once you are admitted to the program, this form will be provided to you.

Do I have to have a contract before I can apply to the program?

No, you can apply to the program first. You will need a contract before you can apply for the Internship Credential.

Back to Top


Program Completion and Graduation

What is a Degree Clearance Form?

A degree clearance form is a form that states a student has completed his/her culminating experience and is ready to graduate. The Kremen School of Education and Human Development is unique in that the students do not need to do this form for themselves. The advisers will do it on the students' behalf working with the Graduate Admissions Analyst in ED 100.  All a student needs to do is turn in the abstract from their project or thesis to his/her adviser, and the adviser will take care of the rest. If you receive an email stating you need to do the degree clearance form, but you are in one of the graduate programs offered in the Kremen School, you can disregard the email. The Comp Exam proctors will also take care of the notification and signing of the form for students who have passed the comps.

When is the deadline to apply for my degree?

The deadline to turn in a graduate degree application is always within the first three weeks of every starting semester or term. Please go to the Division of Research and Graduate Studies page for deadlines (see "Dates and Deadlines").  You need to submit an online application for graduation (online application process).

After those first three weeks, an application will be considered “late”.  If you are turning in a late graduate degree application, you will need to visit the Division of Graduate Studies first and get permission from the office.

How do I apply for my credential?

Once you have completed all coursework for the program and your grades have been posted, you will fill out a credential application and turn it in with all required documentation to ED 100. The credential analyst will process the paperwork and recommend you for a credential to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing. You will finish the application process online. It can take approximately 3-5 weeks to receive your credential.

How much time do I have to apply for my credential?

There is no set deadline to apply for your teaching credential. If you wait too long and the program implements changes, it is possible that you could be required to complete the new program changes before applying for your credential. You also run the risk of coursework and test scores expiring.

*Please note that CSET scores expire after 10 years. Credential coursework expires after 10 years.

I am not quite done with program yet, but I want to walk in the ceremony. Can I?

If a student wishes to walk in the convocation ceremony but is not finished with the program, he/she MUST be finishing in the following summer term at the latest. Otherwise, he/she will have to wait for the ceremony in the next academic year. The student needs to be advanced to candidacy, and the student will need to come to ED 100 with their name, mailing address, and email address to be put on the mailing list for the invitation by a deadline provided on our website closer to the ceremony date. More information will be available on our website in the months prior to graduation. 

I am done with my Master’s program, but I am not finished with the credential coursework. Do I still apply for my degree?

Yes, you can apply for your degree. You will need to submit a graduate degree application within the first two weeks of the semester or term in which you are planning to graduate. You will bring the application to ED 100 for a signature, pay the graduate degree application fee in Joyal Administration, and turn everything in to the Division of Graduate Studies, 4th floor of the Madden Library, Rm. 4140. Once you have applied and are approved, you will only be a credential student, and you may finish your credential coursework.  You may verify this by checking that your program is listed on your unofficial transcripts.  If it is not listed, please notify ED 100, 559-278-0300. 

I am getting an advanced credential with my Master’s degree. How do I apply for each?

You will fill out a graduate degree application found on the Division of Research and Graduate Studies website during the first two weeks of the semester in which you plan to finish your Master's degree. To apply for your credential you will need to fill out a credential application and bring it in to ED 100 in Kremen School of Education and Human Development with the required documents on the checklist. Applications for finishing the credential can be found in our office in ED 100, or they can be requested via email from our Credential Analyst. If you would like to request an application, you can email our Credential Analyst at:

How do I sign up to participate in the convocation ceremony?

If you are finishing in the Summer, Fall or Spring semesters you will be automatically added to the list of graduates. MAKE SURE your mailing address and email address are current with our office, ED 100. We will be sending you emails regarding the convocation ceremony as well as an invitation to the ceremony. Check our homepage regularly in that spring semester for updated information about convocation.

Back to Top