Enseñamos en el Valle Central
Growing Our Own Latinx Teachers
The Enseñamos en el Valle Central Initiative is a five-year, federally-funded Developing Hispanic Serving Institution (DHSI) collaboration with K12 and community college campuses. The Enseñamos Initiative is focused on expanding pathways for future bilingual and Latinx teachers beginning in high school and continuing through community college and Fresno State’s Liberal Studies and multiple subject credential programs, and into the teaching profession.
Our mission is to serve aspiring Latinx teachers in the Central Valley across PK-16 institutions with a commitment to equity, liberation, and justice.
This is actualized through:
- Purposefully promoting culturally and linguistically sustaining pedagogies that are grounded in an anti deficit, anti racist, and anti oppressive framework;
- Supporting the expansion of dual immersion, bilingual schools and classrooms across the Central Valley;
- Building a sense of community via wellness, mentorship, respect, validation, and empowerment;
- Providing future Latinx teachers access and visibility to/with Latinx leaders from various walks of life and professions;
- Valuing community service, political awareness, and critical civic engagement for the public good;
- Developing and providing ongoing guidance for all constituencies impacted by the Enseñamos Initiative that is inclusive of administrators, K12 teachers and higher education faculty, counselors, families, and community members.
Dr. Patricia D. López
Assistant Professor, Curriculum and Instruction
Director, Enseñamos en el Valle Central Initiative
Title V Award #P0315180093