Jordan Harvey Graduate Awards
The Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences & Technology of California State University, Fresno is pleased to announce the offering of up to four prestigious Jordan and Harvey Graduate Awards to highly qualified students entering Master of Science (M.S.) programs in the College of Agriculture. These awards provide $18,500 per year for two years. Funding may consist of scholarship and/or assistantship money, based on the candidate’s qualifications and eligibility. Jordan Harvey recipients are expected to provide teaching and/or research support to their major adviser.
Applicants must be entering their first fall semester in Jordan College M.S. programs (Plant Science, Viticulture & Enology, Animal Science, or Industrial Technology). This includes students beginning in Fall 2021, or those who began in Spring 2021. The awards for Fall 2020 have already been determined so please continue to watch for updates for the next application period for the 2022 awards.
- Agricultural major (or other related undergraduate degree)
- GPA 3.0 or above
- Research experience
- Have identified a faculty member and potential area of research
- Completed the university’s graduate admission process (domestic or international). Visit http://fresnostate.edu/academics/gradstudies/prospectivestudents/applying.html for information and https://www2.calstate.edu/apply/Pages/default.aspx to start the on-line application.
Application Materials – Materials are submitted to the Department
- Cover letter indicating your interest and reason for applying for this award
- Official GRE scores (and TOEFL, if required)
- All college transcripts
- Curriculum vitae (CV) or resume
- Statement of proposed research (maximum 2 pages)
- 2 letters of recommendation, preferably from individuals who can comment on research or independent work skills, and academics
- Letter of support from the faculty member with whom applicant will conduct thesis research
To be given full consideration, materials should be submitted to the respective department TBA in January 2021. Graduate Coordinators must forward application packages for eligible students with a memo of support to the Jordan College selection committee TBA in February 2021. Awards will be announced no later than TBA in March 2021.
- Dr. Sharon Benes (email@example.com or 559-278-2255)
Research assistantships and/or hourly work are provided by individual faculty possessing research grants in specific areas—students are encouraged to contact Ph.D. faculty working in their area of interest http://www.fresnostate.edu/jcast/plantsci/faculty-staff/
Smaller scholarships are also available from our Division of Research and Graduate Studies (DRGS). These include the President’s Graduate Scholars Fellowship, Graduate Equity Fellowship, the Robert and Norma Craig Graduate Scholarship and for students already in the program, the Graduate Research Activity Support Award and Travel Grants http://fresnostate.edu/academics/gradstudies/financial/funding-opportunities.html. The Graduate Net Initiative (GNI) also provides information on most of these awards and offers funding of their own http://fresnostate.edu/academics/graduatenet/students/financial-aid.html. Please note that due to the source of funding, international students may not be eligible for some of these awards; in particular, the GNI awards.
Non-resident tuition waiver units are available on a limited basis. Correspond with the Plant Science Graduate Coordinator, Dr. Sharon Benes (firstname.lastname@example.org) regarding tuition waivers.
Some additional scholarships are made available to graduate students through our Scholarship office. By filling out a single application you will be considered for all scholarshps for which you are eligible. http://www.fresnostate.edu/studentaffairs/financialaid/scholarships/index.html. Numerous professional societies also offer small scholarships. This information is circulated via email from the Department of Plant Science.