Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

The Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology

Picture
Beth Wilson
Beth Wilson
Beth Wilson
Beth Wilson

Ag Business Student Spotlight: Beth Wilson

Recent #FresnoStateGrad Beth Wilson personifies how the agricultural industry offers so many opportunities for its members and supporters to grow and evolve.

The Dos Palos native fondly recalls growing up on a operation that raised a wide range of crops that included cotton, cantaloupes, honeydew, alfalfa, tomatoes, wheat and pomegranates. Those experiences have also helped prepare her for an equally diversified role as a digital marketing coordinator at Agrian by TELUS

That opportunity came after an internship with the Clovis firm that creates software, platforms, analytics and services to connect precision farming technology and agronomy principles (and encourage more sustainable and effective practices).

Those principles emphasizing innovation and industry support run deep in the family, especially since her father, Erik, helped start the ag advocacy organization, My Job Depends On Ag

Her successful work ethic has also been reinforced by a successful Bulldog swimming career where she was also an all-academic conference selection.

Read more about the background of this multi-generational family of Bulldog supporters in this recent interview.

Q: Why did you choose to attend Fresno State, and how did you pick your major?

Wilson: “I’ve always wanted to be a Bulldog. My dad is a huge Fresno State football fan, and my dream growing up was to be a Bulldog swimmer, which I was able to live out! ‘Pride of the Valley’ is huge in my household, so it was an easy choice. I chose my major about a semester into my freshman year. My family is heavily involved in agriculture, and I was inspired by them and my upbringing to stay involved in an industry so integral to who I am. My first ag business class was AGBS 1 with Professor (Patrick) Berends, and I was instantly sold.” 

Q: Did you have any other family members attend Fresno State?

Wilson: “My mother graduated from Fresno State with a degree in liberal studies, and my grandmother was an English major who also graduated from here.”

Q: Which classes & faculty members had the biggest influence on you while at Fresno State?

Wilson: “Agricultural marketing with Professor (Todd) Lone fueled my interest in ag marketing, and I acquired a valuable foundation for my future career. Professor Berends was also one of my favorites as he pushed me and guided me through several tough courses. As a double major, I’ve had some great mentors in the MCJ (Media, Communications and Journalism) department as well.” 

Q: What was your prior background in agriculture?

Wilson: “My father is a farmer and pesticide applicator, and my mother’s father is a farmer. I took lots of tractor naps as a toddler and then was able to spend time helping check fields and irrigation as I grew up. My dad is also a co-founder of My Job Depends on Ag, which had a huge impact on my view of agriculture and inspired me to pursue a career in agricultural communications.” 

Q: Describe any internships you've done, and how they prepared you for your career path?

Wilson: “For the summer of 2021, I was a program coordinator intern for The Ag Center, where I helped with social media marketing, affiliate communications and event planning. Starting in May 2021, I was the Marketing Intern at Agrian by TELUS Agriculture locally, where I worked on all things marketing and was eventually promoted to my current role of Digital Marketing Coordinator.” 

Q: Have you received any scholarships related to campus, the Jordan College or Ag One?  

Wilson: “Yes I have -  I received numerous Ag One scholarships including the full-ride T.J. Schmeiser/Penn Cummings scholarship.” 

Q: Have you overcome any challenges to get where you are today that have shaped who you are?

Wilson: “Maintaining my academic focus within two majors while being a student-athlete and working as an intern my senior year was definitely challenging, but very rewarding.” 

Q: Looking ahead to your career path, what areas would you like to focus on?

Wilson: “I hope to lead an impactful career in ag marketing where I can be a strong advocate for the industry.”