(L-R): Dr. Castro, Dr. Kyle Thompson, Anton Fernandes (student), J.R. Mancebo, Dr. Sandra Witte, Gema Camacho (student), Spencer Peck (student), Teresa Melo (student)
The Jordan College announced that Manuel Mancebo, Jr. from Tulare has pledged a $1 million bequest in support of the Fresno State dairy science program. Fresno State President Joseph I. Castro, Jordan College Dean Sandra Witte, faculty, staff, students and industry supporters honored the former area trucking magnate and his deceased wife, Katye, May 6 at a dairy science club banquet in Tulare. More
New irrigation system at the campus farm
The Jordan College showcased a new innovative drip irrigation technology system on Friday, May 12 that was made possible through a partnership with industry leaders Netafim and Cal West Rain. Fresno State President Joseph I. Castro, Jordan College Dean Sandra Witte and other representatives publicly dedicated the unit, which is located in a 36-acre almond orchard block on the Fresno State campus. More
2017 Turf Day winning team (L-R): Bill Fink, Hanno Powell, Karen Morais, Shad Winters.
Thank you to all who supported the 46th annual Turf Day Golf Classic held on Monday, May 1 at the Belmont Country Club. More than 120 players joined us for a swinging good time including Fresno State “BullDogs” for lunch sponsored by Sol-Tek Industries, 19th Hole Social sponsored by IBS Supplies, Inc. and dinner sponsored by Zenith Agribusiness Solutions. Congratulations to the winning team: Bill Fink, Hanno Powell, Karen Morais and Shad Winters. and many thanks to our sponsors! View team photos here.
(L-R): David Alderete, Joel Perkins, Debbie Raven
At the May 8 Board of Directors meeting, Ag One recognized three outgoing directors for their continuous support. Please join us in thanking David Alderete, Joel Perkins and Debbie Raven for their devoted service to the Jordan College over the past six years.
Join us for the 2017 North Bay Alumni and Friends Dinner on June 14 at the Santa Rosa Junior College Shone Farm. Come meet Fresno State President Dr. Joseph I. Castro, hear from Jordan College Dean Dr. Sandra Witte and connect with alumni and friends. The evening begins with a wine social at 5 p.m. followed by dinner and a short program. For more information, visit the Ag One website.
(L-R): Congressman Jim Costa, Dr. Sandra Witte, George Soares
Jordan College faculty and staff celebrated with the Fresno County Farm Bureau (FCFB) at the FCFB Centennial Gala on May 5. Farm Bureau members, dignitaries and the community collectively came together at the Clovis Veterans Memorial District building to celebrate FCFB’s 100 years of service to the agricultural industry. With over 540 attendees present, the Gala recognized the many agricultural stewards that united within the Farm Bureau organization to represent farmers and ranchers. Congratulations FCFB!
President Castro awarding Jim and Michelle Marderosian with the Pinnacle Society medal.
On May 12, Bee Sweet Citrus founder and president Jim Marderosian and his wife Michelle were honored at Fresno State's annual Pinnacle Society dinner, an event devoted to recognizing individuals whose years of thoughtful and generous contributions have made a distinct difference in education for the university. Pinnacle Founders are the philanthropic pioneers who have given $100,000 or more during their lifetime to enhance academics, assist students, build facilities and advance other Fresno State programs. This year, Jim Marderosian was inducted at the El Capitan level, a distinction held for those who have given $500,000 or more. Earlier this year, Bee Sweet Citrus collaborated with 7 other equipment partners to generously donate a fresh produce packing line to enhance the academic programs in the college. For his recognition, Jim received a medallion art piece depicting Ansel Adams' famous image of "Moon and Half Dome."
On May 1, representatives from Bayer CropScience attended the semi annual partners meeting with faculty and staff from the Jordan College held at the Jordan Agricultural Research Center. The regular meeting held each academic semester allows the partners to focus and enhance the five strategic areas of engagement which include: research, student engagement, promotions and marketing, talent development and training. Some recent developments benefiting the college include demonstration plots on the farm which allow our students to follow a professional application in the field; a collaboration between plant science faculty and Bayer research farm scientists to assist our students in classwork, learning to establish research trials; and the funding of a graduate research students gaining real-world, hands-on experience while pursuing their master's degree.
Planting seeds of success…
- The Jordan College sincerely appreciates all of the love and support from family and friends of the record 694 students who were honored at the May 19 college convocation.
Those well-wishers included U.S. Air Force Master Sergeant Matthew Marshall who sent his best wishes from overseas to his daughter, Amanda Madden, who received her degree in the department of Animal Sciences and Agricultural Education. View the video here
- May 20 marked the 106th Fresno State commencement ceremony. More than 1,000 students participated in the ceremony and 5,648 students graduated in the class of 2017.
- Kendall Bailey, Child Development, was named the 2017 Jordan College Undergraduate Deans’ medalist and Touyee Thao, Plant Science, was named the 2017 Jordan College Graduate Deans’ medalist. Touyee was also selected as the University Graduate Medalist, Fresno State’s top honor for a graduate student. Congrats Kendall and Touyee!
- California Agriculture Secretary Karen Ross visited Fresno State on April 24
- Eight Fresno State Dairy Club members participated in the North American Intercollegiate Dairy Challenge Academy that attracted 230 students to the Central Valley from 25 states and 37 universities across the nation and Canada.
- Congratulations to four outstanding students who were honored with ag science awards from Assemblyman Jim Patterson for their passion for the industry, academic commitment and community service: Amninder Singh and May Yang (Plant Science), Stefani Dias (Agricultural Business) and Ag One Student Assistant Megan O'Connell (Animal Sciences and Agricultural Education). Each student received a $500 award from My Job Depends on Ag and $375 from Harris Ranch.
- Viticulture and Enology senior Alec Fraser loves his role as the winemaker assistant for the Fresno State Winery and how it prepares him for any type of job in the wine industry around the world. Check out his story
- 2017 marked another exciting California FFA state convention with honorary degrees to President Castro and ag mechanics faculty Ken Heupel; workshops on Fresno State campus; a speech by Dean Sandra Witte to state delegates; an honor to Fresno State Agricultural Business Dept senior Hunter Berry; and a special tribute to the 22 years that the city of Fresno and the university have hosted the state convention.
- On May 5, Meat Science students hosted the 6th annual Meat Industry Appreciation Dinner and Product Showcase. Thank you to the sponsors for this year's event, JD Food and Certified Meat Products and the guests who helped raise money for educational opportunities for the Meat Science Club and Meat Judging Team members.
- June 14, 2017 – North Bay Alumni and Friends Dinner with Fresno State President Dr. Joseph I. Castro, Santa Rosa
- June 26, 2017 - Santa Barbara/San Luis Obispo Alumni & Friends Reception - CATA Conference, San Luis Obispo
- July 14, 2017 – Community Salute honoring the Borba Family, Fresno Convention Center Exhibit Halls
- September 10, 2017 – 40th Annual Ag Boosters BBQ, Borba Ranch
- September 10, 2017 - Fantasy Vacation Drawing, Borba Ranch
If you’re not already a member, please consider joining Ag One and receive 10% off selected items like wine and olive oil at the Rue and Gwen Gibson Farm Market!
For more information: