Professor Ken Fugelsang passed away on February 20. He was a Professor Emeritus of Enology at Fresno State. Professor Fugelsang joined the university in 1972 and taught enology for more than four decades. He has published over 150 technical papers and 14 books including Wine Analysis and Production. Professor Fugelsang is the past president of the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi and recipient of the University's Outstanding Research, Scholarship and Creative Activity Award the Salgo-Noren and NACTA Awards, the Claude Laval Award for Innovative Technology, and the Outstanding Alumnus Award (Top Dog Classes of 1969 and 1972). During his service to the enology program, Professor Fugelsang also managed Fresno State's 20,000 case commercial winery where his students received hundreds of awards in major wine competitions. Memorial tributes may be made payable to the Ag One Foundation for the K.C. Fugelsang/C.J. Muller Enology Endowment which supports students pursuing degrees in Enology. Click for more information about the K.C. Fugelsang/C.J. Muller Enology Endowment
Date: Monday, May 1, 2017
Place: Belmont Country Club, Fresno
Time: Registration 10 a.m.; Shotgun start 11 a.m.; lunch at the turn; 19th Hole Social and dinner following play
Cost: $160/player, $640/team
Entry Deadline: April 21, 2017 ($175/player after deadline)
There are a number of ways you can participate in the tournament. Register as a player or sponsor today!
Planting seeds of success…
- Jordan College Dean Sandra Witte spent time with Congressmen Jim Costa and Devin Nunes while in Washington D.C. for the APS/NARRU joint winter meeting (Academic Program Sections for Non-land-grant Agriculture and Renewable Resource Universities).
- The Jordan College was highlighted at the Ag Fest Fresno State Baseball Game on March 10; festivities included a petting zoo, the first pitch by Associate Dean Kathie Reid-Bevington, and recognition of the Soils Judging team from the Plant Science department.
- Pre-veterinary student, Kellen Habib, was selected as the student representative for the Alpha Zeta Honorary Agricultural Fraternity’s High Council at the organization's annual conference in Stillwater, OK. Congrats Kellen!
- Thank you to the 200+ supporters who participated in the Fresno State Sigma Alpha Walk for Rosemary! The 5K, held on campus, helped raise $3,000 towards medical and transportation costs for Ag Education senior Rosamaria Meza from Caruthers as she battles Ewing's Sarcoma bone cancer. Learn more about her story here.
- The Fresno State Horticulture Nursery will host its annual spring vegetable plant sale from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.March 18 at the Fresno State Gibson Farm Market. The event is the nursery’s largest of the spring and will feature 18 varieties of tomatoes, six types of herbs, artichokes, strawberries and flowers
- The Fresno State Soil Judging Team is headed to national intercollegiate competition at Northern Illinois on April 23-28 thanks to their 2nd-place finish at the Region 6 Soil Judging Competition. Congratulations also go to team leader Georgina Reyes and Jagdeep Basi who finished 2nd and 3rd individually overall. Other team members are Aldo Garcia, Nancy Valdez, Mark Castanon and Ricardo Rodriguez. In preparation for the national competition, the Soils Judging Team is looking for support. For more information about making a donation to the Soils Judging Team, click here.
- Ag Leadership students and the Fresno State Plant Science Club participated in the annual Farm and Nutrition Day on March 17, which was hosted by the Fresno County Farm Bureau and The Big Fresno Fair. This event brings more than 3,000 third grade students from Fresno County to the fairgrounds to learn about the agriculture industry and healthy eating choices.
- Congrats to sophomore Bodi Dodds and junior Colton Campbell who won the team roping buckles at the Fresno State Rodeo Team (Bulldoggers) home event last weekend!
- The Fresno State Sigma Alpha sorority will be hosting the "Sigma Belles and Shotgun Shells" Trap Shoot on April 1 at the Fresno Trap and Skeet Club in Kerman.
- The Jordan College recently hosted faculty from the Yunnan Agricultural University in China to explore further collaborations after creating an initial partnership with Fresno State in 2016
At its recent California and Nevada section conference, the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers recently honored Fresno State Industrial Technology professor Dr. Balaji Sethuramasamyraja as its Ag Engineer of the Year. Grad student Arthish Bhaskar and junior Huy Le also won first place in graduate and undergraduate research poster competitions.
Meet our staff
Alcidia Freitas Gomes - Ag One Executive Director/Senior Director of Development
Alcidia graduated from Fresno State in 1987 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Ag Business. After working in the dairy industry for seven years, she returned to campus to work in development for the Jordan College. She has served in this capacity for 23 years and helped raise over $85 million.
- March 18, 2017 - Horticulture Nursery Spring Vegetable Plant Sale, Gibson Farm Market
- March 22, 2017 – Common Threads Awards Luncheon, Tulare
- April 27, 2017 - Ag Business Club Banquet; for more information, contact the Ag Business Department at559.278.2949, email@example.com. RSVP Form
- May 1, 2017 – Turf Day Golf Classic, Belmont Country Club, Fresno
- May 6, 2017 - Dairy Club Banquet, Tulare
- June 14, 2017 - North Bay Alumni and Friends Dinner, Santa Rosa
- July 14, 2017 – Community Salute honoring the Borba Family, Fresno Convention Center Exhibit Hall
If you’re not already a member, please consider joining Ag One and receive 10% off selected items like wine and olive oil at the Rue and Gwen Gibson Farm Market!
For more information: