Earlier this month, the Fresh Produce & Floral Council made a $5,000 gift to initiate annual scholarships for students pursuing degrees in Ag Business, Ag Communications and Plant Science. The first recipients of these scholarships will also be invited to attend any of the upcoming FPFC events to be introduced to members and engage in the industry. The FPFC provides unique networking and business growth opportunities for professionals in produce and floral in California and seeks to provide timely market information, enhance business skills, and pool efforts to promote and advance the industry.
On Feb 4, Jim Kuhtz, Jr., his wife Beverly and their son, David visited Ag One to meet the recipient of their Ag One - James C. Kuhtz scholarship award. The family established the endowed scholarship in 2001 to honor the patriarch of their family, Jim Kuhtz, Sr. following his passing earlier that year. Jim, Sr. revolutionized dairy herd management with his herd analysis program, Dairy Mating Service, a tool which continues today. The James C. Kuhtz scholarship fund provides a yearly support to a deserving student with a demonstrated interest in the dairy industry. This year’s recipient was Christina Shandler, of Visalia, who is pursuing a career in dairy science and currently works at the dairy production unit at Fresno State.
Planting seeds of success…
- Fresno State's viticulture and enology program was well represented at the Unified Wine & Grape Symposium at the Sacramento Convention Center late January.
- Update on Jordan College Dean search: candidate Dr. George Allen Rasmussen from Texas A&M University – Kingsville visited the Fresno State campus on Thursday, February 11 to meet with faculty, staff and stakeholders. More information on the search to come.
- Jordan College Alumnus Sarah Clark Woolf named to Fresno State Agricultural Foundation Board.
- Four Jordan College alumni graduated in this year’s California Agricultural Leadership Foundation class.
- Fresno State plant science professor Dr. Anil Shrestha received the Weed Science Society of America’s Outstanding Teacher Award at its national conference Feb. 9 in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Jordan College students take honors at plant science conferences.
February 26, 2016 – National Pistachio Day at the Gibson Farm Market
March 15, 2016 – Ag Fest at the Fresno State Baseball game, Dr. Witte to throw first pitch
March 16, 2016 – 20th Annual Common Threads Luncheon, International Agri-Center Heritage Complex, Tulare
May 9, 2016 – 45th Annual Turf Day Golf Classic, Belmont Country Club
June 20 - 24, 2016 - Angra do Heroismo, Terceira, Azores - President and Mrs. Mary Castro and interim Dean Dr. Sandra Witte will travel to Angra, Terceira to sign an agreement with the University of the Azores. The agreement will put in place an exchange program for students majoring in agriculture. For more information on this visit or the program contact Alcidia Freitas Gomes at 559-278-4266.
Become an Ag One Member!
If you’re not already a member, please consider joining Ag One and receive 10% off selected items like wine and olive oil at the Rue and Gwen Gibson Farm Market!