Join us for the Ag Boosters BBQ September 10th!
Grab your tickets today for the 40th Annual Ag Boosters BBQ on Sunday, September 10! This year is a milestone, celebrating four decades and more than $1 million raised. Join us for an exciting evening including a social hour sponsored by Fermin Campos Farms featuring Fresno State farm products and cheese and cracker tasting provided by valley industry partners. Be sure to stop by the Dog House sponsored by Breco Firearms and enter for your chance to win a Benelli shotgun! You won’t want to miss the CWA Country Store sponsored by Ultra Gro Plant Food, all while enjoying Fresno State wine and other beverages at the bar sponsored by Rabobank and a delicious barbecue dinner sponsored by Zenith Agribusiness. Tickets are $50/person, $450/table and Harvest sponsorships are still available, visit the Ag One website for more information.
In memory of Donald “Doc” Casperson
Donald "Doc" Casperson passed away peacefully in Bellingham, WA, on June 23, 2017, with his caring wife, Elaine, and adoring daughter, Leslie, by his side. Don and Elaine moved to Lynden, WA in January of 2016, to be closer to Leslie and her family. In 1970, Don was hired as an Assistant Professor at Fresno State, teaching health science where he stayed for 13 rewarding years. Don's interest in the wine and liquor business began in the late 1970s and this interest evolved into the opening of Old Doc's Discount Liquor with a special emphasis on good wines. During the 34 years in business, he assisted many customers and developed lasting friendships. Over the years, he supported many community organizations. There will be a Celebration of Don's Life held on the patio at the Elbow Room on August 26 at 2 p.m. In lieu of flowers, donations in Don's name may be made to Ag One for a Fresno State Enology Student Scholarship. Please contact Ag One for more information. Link to full obituary. Give now in Don's memory
Mark your calendar for the West Side Luncheon on November 8!
Ag One and Fresno Equipment Company invite you to the second annual West Side Agriculture Alumni and Friends Luncheon on Wednesday, Nov. 8! Enjoy a BBQ lunch while visiting with fellow alumni, friends, faculty and staff of the Jordan College. Event proceeds benefit students and programs in the Jordan College! The luncheon will be held at Fresno Equipment Company in Five Points. Doors open at 11:30 a.m. and tickets are $35, RSVP by Nov. 1. For more information about the event and sponsorship opportunities please visit our website. We hope to see you there!
Calling all alumni and friends in the Kern County area
Join us for the 38th annual Kern County Alumni and Friends Luncheon at Sun Pacific Farming in Bakersfield on Wednesday, Nov. 15! This event is an opportunity to see all that Kern County has to offer the community, students and agricultural industry. Enjoy a BBQ lunch while visiting with Fresno State, Bakersfield College and local high school students, then stay for a facility tour. The social begins at 11 a.m. followed by lunch and program at noon and the tour at 1 p.m. Tickets are $35 per person, RSVP by Nov. 8. For information about sponsorships or to purchase a ticket, visit our website.
Take aim for the 4th Annual Ag One Trap Shoot on Thursday, Nov. 30
You’re sure to have a blast at this year’s Trap Shoot at the Kingsburg Gun Club! Save the date for a fun-filled afternoon of clay shooting, social and tri-tip dinner while supporting the Jordan College. Plus - you won't want to miss out on your chance to win a Benelli shotgun or a YETI cooler in the raffle drawing,! Stay tuned for more details or visit the web page for more information.
Agrian, a local Ag software company, recently opened a brand new high-tech 20,000 square foot facility in Clovis. Theis office is home to Agrian’s staff of more than 80 software developers, regulatory and customer support personnel, and also includes separate and customizable spaces for Agrian customers and other ag and food businesses to hold meetings and training sessions. Agrian values its close proximity to Fresno State and feels it is important to team up with the Jordan College to not only foster growth for up-and-coming agriculture professionals but to support the college of ag and technology anyway it can. This includes Agricultural Operations and Greenhouse Operations having full access to use its compliance tool set at no-cost.
"We feel a great connection to Fresno State not only because myself, our President and COO are all alumni," said CEO Nish Majarian, "but the majority of our team are Fresno State graduates too."
Agrian is a huge supporter of Jordan College students. Over the last several years Agrian has had over 20 interns and the majority have accepted a full-time position at the end of their internship, all students directly out of the Jordan College.
"We believe it is important for students to gain valuable applied experience and make connections within the industry," added Majarian. "Agrian is internationally used, giving student interns an opportunity to learn about the global ag industry. We encourage any students that are interested in learning about ag technology or just agriculture to apply for an internship."
Agrian is an Ag software company that helps growers, agronomists, and food processors simplify their workload by providing compliance, precision, and agronomy in one platform. Agrian's unified software platform empowers every link of the agricultural food chain to operate safely, sustainably and profitably. To learn more visit agrian.com.
Dairy Program – October 14 events
October 14 will be full of Holstein excitement at Fresno State – the California Holstein Association will host their annual planning conference on campus followed by the Red Wave Sale at the campus Livestock Pavilion. After the sale, the Dairy Club will host a tailgate celebration before the Fresno State football game at 7 p.m. More info
Planting seeds of success…
- Alumnus Thomas Montgomery returns as new Fresno State winemaker
- The Department of Viticulture and Enology also welcomes two new assistant professors of Enology: Miguel Pedroza who is teaching advanced sensory evaluation of wine and wine analysis and production, and Qun Sun who is teaching analytical methods for wine
- Plant Science faculty member Don Vasconcellos utilized his family heritage to kick off his Food Society & Environment class as the fall semester begins this week
- The Jordan College Advising and Career Development Center has a great line up of fall career fairs and networking events, for more information contact Mary Willis at email@example.com
- Students from the departments of Agricultural Business and Plant Science took part in a wine study abroad program in Spain from June 23-July 30
- Plant Science students receive national agronomy awards
- The Fresno State horticulture nursery hosted a farm camp for elementary students that included activities, crafts and learning about agriculture-related topics. Many thanks to Crop Production Services who sponsored the camp.
- The Dairy Science program staff hosted the California Junior Holstein Association Cow Camp on campus from July 27-29 for 45 students between the ages of 7-18. In addition to touring the campus dairy unit and learning about the dairy industry, these students also got to experience staying in the Fresno State dorms.
- September 10, 2017 – Ag Boosters BBQ, Borba Ranch
- September 10, 2017 – Fantasy Vacation Drawing, Borba Ranch
- October 14, 2017 – Red Wave Sale, Dairy Club Tailgate
- November 8, 2017 – West Side Alumni and Friends Luncheon, Fresno Equipment Company, Five Points
- November 15, 2017 – Kern County Alumni and Friends Luncheon, Sun Pacific Farming, Bakersfield
- November 30, 2017 – Ag One Trap Shoot, Kingsburg Gun Club
If you’re not already a member, please consider joining Ag One and receive 10% off selected items like wine and olive oil at the Rue and Gwen Gibson Farm Market!
For more information: