VIP Program Student Information
Students must be Junior class standing or higher during the semester they apply for the VIP Program.
1. Must be a student in the following areas of study:
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering
- Industrial Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
2. Domestic and international students are both eligible.
3. Must participate in the formal interview process by member companies.
4. Must participate in two, six-month internships with two VIP member companies.
Who Can Apply?
- Any student currently attending Fresno State or transferring to Fresno State from the above majors can apply to the VIP program.
- As a practical matter, the program selects from applicants that demonstrate the ability to be a productive employee. The program seeks to identify students who exhibit a combination of technical and strong communication skills as well as the desire to learn and able to demonstrate teamwork.
- Applicants with little or no professional work experience are encouraged to apply.
Applicants apply to the program and interview with a panel of company recruiters. After interviewing the candidates, the companies select the students who qualify to enter the VIP program. From the pool of qualified students, companies work together to select and place students at companies matching the skills and interests of the students with the needs of the companies.
What Do I Have to Gain?
The VIP program offers paid internships. The interns are paid in accordance with their educational level. Students in their first year in the program are paid competitive intern salaries, which is uniformly increased for interns during their second internship. For many students, a semester "off" to work and earn some money is a major incentive to join the program.
- The VIP program is a great way to get that first job.
- Participating in two different internships gives students the opportunity to experience different work environments, company cultures, and technical assignments. Great for career planning!
- The experience gained looks great on your resume.
- The program extends your education by, essentially, getting your first year of real employment under your belt while you're still in school with support from the University.
- You graduate from the University with one year of real work experience, in your chosen field, on your resume.
Experience Prior to Graduation
The VIP program helps to complete the student's education by giving first hand experience in working on real engineering projects for a real employer. Real work experience is something that companies look for in a graduate. Employers look for people with experience and this program gives students a full year of employment working in their chosen field.