College of Engineering Dean's Search
Vacancy Announcement (pdf)
California State University, Fresno invites nominations and applications for the position of the Dean of the College of Engineering
(Full-time, 12-month) Vacancy # 5784
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications Expected Start Date: July 1, 2007
This is a full-time management position covered by the CSU Management Plan. Under this plan, employees are subject to normal management reviews and serve at the pleasure of the University President.
The salary is competitive and is negotiable depending on the strength of qualifications. This is a management personnel plan position with an attractive benefits package, which includes a vacation accrual rate of 16 hours per month, an excellent choice of medical, dental and vision insurance, long term disability coverage, life insurance and retirement benefits.
The Dean of the College of Engineering is a member of the Council of Deans and reports to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. The Dean is responsible for the quality and effectiveness of the academic programs within the College, as well as decisions related to faculty recruitment and retention, development and fundraising, resource and facility allocations. By articulating a clear vision, the Dean will lead the process of charting the future direction of the College. The Dean will work towards establishing and/or strengthening synergistic relationships within the college as well as with other programs on campus, industry and community partners in order to advance the interests and goals of the College and to advance the Academic Plan and the University's Plan for Excellence. Responsibilities also include strengthening the existing ABET and ACCE accredited academic programs and the planning and development of high-quality baccalaureate and post baccalaureate programs designed to meet the needs of students and the community. The Dean is the spokesperson for engineering on campus and in the region, and will be expected to work cooperatively with University Advancement on the university's Comprehensive Campaign. The Dean will be expected to work effectively with colleagues from the other schools/colleges, research institutes and centers, as well as the Provost’s management team, department chairs, faculty, staff, and members of advisory councils.
- An earned doctorate (Ph.D. or equivalent research doctorate) in engineering from an accredited institution
- An outstanding record of teaching, scholarship, and service commensurate with appointment as professor with tenure in an area of specialization offered by the College or traditionally offered by colleges of engineering
- A record of academic administrative leadership and experience at the department level or above, including management of fiscal and personnel resources, academic program evaluation and review, strategic planning, and programs for student advisement, recruitment, and retention
- Commitment to faculty governance, consultative processes and consensus building
- Experience in working within an ethnically, culturally and linguistically diverse campus and community and a demonstrated sensitivity to the needs of migrant and immigrant student populations
- Experience in fundraising and/or grant development
- Understanding of the proper uses and value of instructional technology as well as distance learning based instruction.
The search committee will begin reviewing letters of nomination and applications on January 12, 2007 and will accept applications until the position is filled. Pursuant to the requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, any offer of employment will be contingent upon verification of individual’s eligibility for employment in the United States. Applicants should submit:
- A letter of interest
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copies of recent scholarly publications
- Names, titles, addresses, phone/fax numbers and email addresses of five (5) professional references
- Management Application Form and Applicant Flow Form.
Email or mail application or nomination to:
Dr. Ram Nunna, Chair
Search Committee for the Dean of the College of Engineering
California State University, Fresno
c/o Randy Aoki, Office of the Provost
5241 N. Maple Ave. M/S TA 54 Fresno, CA 93740-8027