Goals and Objectives (Program Outcomes)
It is important to note that the American Council for Construction Education (ACCE),
the academic accreditation organization of construction management programs, has recently
revised its standards and criteria for accreditation to reflect an outcome-based assessment
approach, effective fall 2015. Accordingly, the CM program learning outcomes have
been updated to be consistent with the new ACCE requirements since the last review
cycle. Specifically, the new 20 ACCE student learning outcomes (SLOs) have been used
in lieu of the original 12 program learning outcomes (PLOs), as shown in Table 1 below.
Notice that the 3 General Education SLOs remain as part of the new PLOs.
||New ACCE SLOs
Problem Solving/Critical Thinking
Procurement & Pre- Construction
Project Administration & Control
Legal & Ethical Responsibilities
Integrated Project Practices
GE-E Lifelong Learning
- Create written communications appropriate to the construction discipline
- Create oral presentations appropriate to the construction discipline.
- Create a construction project safety plan.
- Create construction project cost estimates.
- Create construction project schedules.
- Analyze professional decisions based on ethical principles.
- Analyze construction documents for planning and management of construction processes.
- Analyze methods, materials, and equipment used to construct projects.
- Apply construction management skills as a member of a multi- disciplinary team.
- Apply electronic-based technology to manage the construction process.
- Apply basic surveying techniques for construction layout and control.
- Understand different methods of project delivery and the roles and responsibilities
of all constituencies involved in the design and construction process.
- Understand construction risk management.
- Understand construction accounting and cost control.
- Understand construction quality assurance and control.
- Understand construction project control processes.
- Understand the legal implications of contract, common, and regulatory law to manage
a construction project.
- Understand the basic principles of sustainable construction.
- Understand the basic principles of structural behavior.
- Understand the basic principles of mechanical, electrical and pipingsystems.
GE-E Lifelong Learning