Physics Advising Page
Advice for today: Apply for scholarships! All students should fill out and submit this application. The department alone hands out more than $10,000 each and every year, from $300 to $2000 per award. The catch: Your name has to be on the official applicant list by February to have a chance to be granted one. Please click on the link to the right to go to the online application. This one application automatically submits your name to all scholarships applicable to your major. Highly worth the effort to complete the application.
Here is a list of Scholarships that the department gives out each year to physics majors:
- Downing Science Scholarship: A $2000 scholarship to be awarded to entering senior undergraduate student in each department of the College of Science & Mathematics who is selected by the department as the outstanding academic scholar based on academic record and achievement through the junior year.
- Ward & Oma Miles Memorial:A scholarship in memory of their son is available to seniors majoring in Physical Science with an interest in Atomic Energy. The scholarship is awarded on the basis of financial need and educational promise.
- Harry Burbridge in Physics: Scholarships are awarded to students who have completed their sophomore year or, one semester at California State University, Fresno after transferring from another institution. The scholarship is awarded on the basis of financial need, educational promise and an interest in the Science of Physics as a career.
- John R. Dews Physics Research: The applicant must be a part-time or full-time undergraduate or graduate student, have a cumulative minimum gpa of 3.0 earned over the last one year of academic instruction and must demonstrate a strong interest and ability in physics.
- Hands-On Networking in Industry: Awarded to a junior or senior undergraduate student majoring in Physics who demonstrates financial need, and has a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Jean S. Hirayama: Awarded to a student exhibiting a strong dedication to the field of Physics who possesses the qualities exemplified by the life of Jean S. Hirayama.
- Improving the Image of Science in our Society: This scholarship is given to an incoming freshman who is pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Physics.
- Cheunjit Katkanant Memorial Scholarship: Awarded to a student pursuing a degree in Physics with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.2.
- Physics Millennium Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to a sophomore, junior, or senior majoring in Physics who demonstrates financial need and has a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better.