Teaching Student-Centered Mathematics with Cognitive Guided Instruction (CGI), 2019, for Elementary School Teachers
Wednesday, June 12 - Saturday, June 15, 8:00 am - 3:00 pm
Monday, June 17 - Friday, June 21, 8:00 am - 3:30 pm
The Department of Mathematics at California State University, Fresno in collaboration with San Joaquin Valley Mathematics Project (SJVMP) and the Mathematics and Science Teacher Initiative (MSTI) offer a unique opportunity for elementary school teachers. Learn how to integrate standards for mathematical practices and Common Core mathematical standards through embedded lessons with actual students using CGI strategies.
- Nine days of intensive hands-on learning through activities and demonstration classes for elementary mathematics teachers to help implement the California State Standards for Mathematics.
- Learn the new Mathematics content of the CCSSM through observation and discussion.
- Collaboratively prepare and field test lessons that incorporate the eight Standards for Mathematical Practices of CCSSM.
- Observe demonstration classes with highly effective teaching strategies.
- Intensive learning experience through challenging mathematical and pedagogical tasks in an enjoyable environment.
- Change the way you think about teaching mathematics.
- Learn to use dynamic mathematics software to explore concepts.
- Take back implementation techniques of CCSSM to your own school.
- Earn a $250 stipend and optional 3 units of Fresno State professional development credit (cost $75/unit).
- School/District Support: Registration fee $850 (before May 15th), $950 (after May 15th).