Bachelor of Science in Mathematics - Integrated Credential Option
The requirement for entrance to the major and minor programs is completion of two years of algebra as well as courses in geometry and trigonometry, or a sequence of courses containing their equivalents, such as MATH 5 (trigonometry) and 6 (precalculus). It is strongly recommended that such study be completed before entrance to the university.
Incoming Integrated Credential Option students are eligible for the Mathematics Teaching Scholars Program
Major requirements (61-62 units)
Core curriculum (35 units)
MATH 75 (or 75A and B), 76, 77, 81 (15 units)
MATH 101 (4 units)
MATH 111 (4 units)
MATH 151, 152 (8 units)
MATH 171 (4 units)
Option specific electives (17-18 units)
Math 143 (4 units)
MATH 145 (3 units)
MATH 149S (4 units)
MATH 161 (3 units)
MATH Elective/Any 3 Seminars (see note 1) (3-4 units)
Additional requirements (9 units)
MATH 191T (1 unit)
CSCI 40 (4 units)
PHYS 4A (3 units)
PHYS 4AL (see note 2) (1 unit)
General Education requirements (39 units) (see notes 2, 3, 4 and 5)
Credential requirements (34 units)
CI 151 (3 units)
CI 152 (3 units)
CI 161 (3 units)
LEE 157 (3 units)
EHD 154A (1 unit)
EHD 155A (4 units)
EHD 155B (10 units)
SPED 158 (3 units)
LEE 156 (3 units)
EHD 154B (1 unit)
Total (134-135 units)
The culminating experience for the Integrated Credential Option is MATH 149S.
- The fifth MATH elective can be any 3-4 unit mathematics course, upper division or graduate, excluding MATH 100, 133, 134, 137, 138, 139, or any combination of seminars totaling 3 units. MATH 191T as Additional Requirement cannot be used for double counting of the requirements. Special conditions apply for graduate courses; see department advisor.
- PHYS 4AL is required for the Integrated Credential Option. PHYS 4A+4AL will satisfy the General Education (GE) Breadth requirement.
- Students in the Integrated Credential Option are required to take ANTH 105W as a GE and writing course.
- Three units of MATH 75 (or MATH 75A) also will satisfy the G.E. Foundation B4 requirement.
- 6 units of GE courses are double counted (B1/3 and B4), and 6 units of GE requirements are waived (A3 and ID) for the Integrated Credential Option.
- See Mathematics Road Map at:
It is strongly recommended, to all math majors, to have an advising session at least once a semester. If you do not have an assigned advisor, please talk to the staff at the Mathematics department office (PB 381).
All courses required as prerequisites for a mathematics course must be completed with a grade of C or better before registration will be permitted. All courses taken to fulfill major or minor requirements must be completed with a grade of C or better.