Bachelor of Science in Mathematics - Applied Mathematics Option
The requirement for entrance to the major and minor programs is completion of two years of algebra as well as courses in geometry and trigonometry, or a sequence of courses containing their equivalents, such as MATH 4R and 5. It is strongly recommended that such study be completed before entrance to the university.
Major requirements (61-62 units)
Core curriculum (34-35 units)
MATH 75 (or 75A and 75B), 76, 77, 81 (15 units)
MATH 101 or 107 (3-4 units)
MATH 111 (4 units)
MATH 151, 152 (8 units)
MATH 171 (4 units)
Option specific electives (16 units)
Four courses from the following list (12 units):
MATH 109, 121, 122, 123, 128, 181, 182
And the following two courses:
MATH 191T (1 unit)
MATH 198 (3 units)
Additional requirements (11 units)
CSCI 40 (4 units)
CSCI 41 (4 units)
PHYS 4A (see note 1) (3 units)
General Education requirements (51 units) (see notes 1 and 2)
Free Electives and remaining degree requirements (7-8 units)
Total (120 units)
The Culminating Experience for the Pure Mathematics Option consists of:
- A Junior Seminar (MATH 191T) in Applied Mathematics in the spring semester of the year prior to graduation, and
- A Senior Project (MATH 198) in Applied Mathematics which will include a report and a presentation in the Junior Seminar in the spring semester of student’s graduating year.
- PHYS 4AL is not required for this option in the math major. If students wish to include PHYS 4A as a General Education Breadth course, they must also take PHYS 4AL.
- Three units of MATH 75 (or MATH 75A) also will satisfy the G.E. Foundation B4 requirement.
- See Mathematics Road Map at http://www.fresnostate.edu/degreeroadmap/
It is strongly recommended, to all math majors, to have an advising session at least once a semester. See the department chair for assignment to an adviser.
All courses required as prerequisites for a mathematics course must be completed with a grade of C or better before registration will be permitted. All courses taken to fulfill major or minor requirements must be completed with a grade of C or better.