Who Should Apply?
The MS Chemistry degree program is designed for students interested in any area of Chemistry or Biochemistry. We welcome both returning and continuing students, and we are often able to accommodate working students.
To be eligible for admission to the MS Chemistry program, you must have the equivalent of a Bachelors degree in Chemistry or a closely related field with a GPA of 2.5 or better from a four-year College. International students are encouraged to contact the International Student Services and Programs Office to determine eligibility.
How to Apply
Application & Deadline
Through the Cal State Apply
May 31st for Fall admission
Nov 1st for Spring admission
All applicants must take the General Graduate Record Examination (GRE). (You are not required to take the Chemistry Subject GRE for admission to the MS Chemistry program).
To Graduate Admissions Office, 5150 North Maple, JA 57, Fresno, CA 93740-8026.
Three letters of recommendation
Send to Graduate Coordinator, Dept. of Chemistry, 2555 E. San Ramon Avenue, MS SB/70, Fresno, CA93740-8034.
There are additional application requirements for overseas students. An overview of the process is provided below. All international applicants must consult with the International Student Services and Programs Office for current requirements and procedures.
Your application cannot be considered until all documents are received by the university.
Information for International Applicants*
*Please note: The information provided here is intended to provide an overview of the application process only. International applicants must consult the International Student Services and Programs (ISSP) Office for current requirements and procedures.
- International applicants can apply online using the Cal State Apply Web site.
- All applicants must take the General Graduate Record Examination (General GRE).
- All the candidates must demonstrate competency in English EITHER with a score of 80 or higher on iBT TOEFL Exam (1) OR 6.5 Overall Band Score on IELTS. Students may be conditionally admitted before completing this requirement.
- No exceptions
- Official transcripts, diplomas, certificates, and mark sheets of all academic work completed in both your native language and in English must be submitted.
- Only original documents or certified true copies that are certified by the issuing school are acceptable.
- If you submit certified true copies, original documents must be presented upon arrival to California State University, Fresno. Notarized documents are not accepted.
A copy of your passport photo/information page must be submitted.
- A financial statement demonstrating sufficient funds to cover your graduate studies is required.
- This should be a bank letter/statement showing the amount and source of support. If your sponsor is a government agency, organization, or another group, you must attach a separate letter from your sponsor that includes the terms of the sponsorship (in English).
- After being admitted to the university, ISSP will issue you with an I-20 form. This will enable you to apply for a student F-1 visa through a US Embassy/Consulate in your home country.
- Please note that this process can take some time and requires an interview at the issuing US Embassy/Consulate.