First impressions count, and the first impression that a potential employer will have of you is going to depend on how you present your resume. It is your professional "snapshot". The average employer only spends a few seconds looking at a resume, so it is imperative that it makes an impression. In this increasingly competitive job market you need to have a professional resume that contains the right information, so that it will stand out. Take the time to do your resume right! Creating a resume is a process; don't expect a perfect resume on your first try.
The design of your résumé must highlight and draw the eye toward the most important information about your work experience, specific skills and education
- Use a font size of 10-14 points
- Use non-decorative typefaces
- Choose one typeface and stick to it
- Avoid italics, script, and underlined words
- Do not use horizontal or vertical lines, graphics, or shading
- Keep it current! List your most recent accomplishments so the interviewer knows what you are capable of doing now
- Proofread, proofread, proofread; ensure there are no grammatical errors
- Don't be modest! This is your chance to shine, you are competing for this position!
On-Campus Resume Support
Fresno State Career Services provides in-person support, mini-presentations, and resume samples to assist you in your resume preparation. Additionally, the center provides a free, web-based resume development and tutorial tool, called OptimalResume. With OptimalResume, you can quickly and easily create, format, and manage up to 5 resumes in several downloadable formats, including Word Compatible, Plain Text, PDF, and a website. You can even submit your resume for review by one of their trained Career Counselors