2011 California Family Business Award Winner
Excerpt provided by The Business Journal
Published Friday, January 21,2011
Johanson Transportation Service of Fresno was awarded the22nd AnnualJohanson 2011 Award Picture California Family Business Award on January 20th in a ceremony hosted by the Institute for Family Business and The Business Journal.
Johanson Transportation Service was founded in 1971 by World War II veteran Richard Johanson. His son, Larry Johanson started working there part-time in 1972, taking the reins as president upon Richard’s retirement in 1989. A third generation, Larry’s daughter Amanda Johanson, works in logistics and supply chain management for the company.
The company was among ten finalists for the California Family Business Award. Businesses were nominated based on criteria including longevity, implementing innovative strategies, incorporating family into the business, instituting a succession plan and contributing to the community.
Johanson Transportation Service received the award before a crowd of nearly 200 people during a dinner ceremony at the Fresno Convention Center Exhibit Hall. Johanson family patriarch Richard Johanson was on hand to accept the award.
"We are proud to do our small part in establishing the legitimacy and importance of family businesses in this economy," Johanson said.
Take a look at the Johanson Transportation Service nomination form
2011 Family Business Award Finalists
- A & M Flooring America – www.amcarpet.com
- Fresno Ag Hardware – www.fresnoag.com
- International Catering Company – www.internationalcatering.net
- Johanson Transortation Service – www.johansontrans.com
- La Tapatia Tortilleria, Inc. – www.Tortillas4u.com
- Mathews Harley-Davidson – www.mathewshd.com
- Provisions Food Company, Inc.. – www.Provisionsfood.com
- ServiceMaster By Benevento – www.ServiceMasterbybenevento.com
- Snowflake Designs, Inc. – www.snowleotards.com
- Tempest Technology Corportation -www.tempest-edge.com
Thank you to our Award Sponsors
Lifetime Achievement Award Winners
- 2009 - Fred Ruiz, Ruiz Foods
- 2007 - William Lyles, Lyles Diversified, Inc.