Marketing Minute Newsletter
Marketing is Everybody’s Business!
• • •
The Marketing Minute Newsletter is distributed to all marketing majors, as well as other majors who are currently enrolled in marketing courses. The information is intended to keep you up to date about scheduling, courses, programs, careers, and other issues of interest to students. Marketing Minute provides important information to help you make better-informed decisions about your education and career development. Students who are registered with Blackboard and those who have declared Marketing as an option receive this newsletter via e-mail too. If you wish to be added to the mailing list, please call Ms. Kathy Hirasuna during the department office hours: (559) 278-7830.
The Marketing Minute, October 2013
Student Chapter of the AMA: Further Your Future Career!
We have initiated our first student chapter of the American Marketing Association (AMA) here at Fresno State! The AMA provides many different opportunities for students to learn and enhance their future marketing careers! You can visit the following website (http://www.marketingpower.com/Community/collegiate/Pages/default.aspx?source=footer) to learn more about all the opportunities available for membership. In addition, you can find additional information on our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/fsamacc). If you would like more information, you can also contact Leslie Lupian AMA President email@example.com she can give you the low down. This would definitely look good on your resume, not to mention provide you with many networking opportunities for the future!
To highlight just a few of the exciting opportunities available to you, check out the following benefits:
- AMA Member Benefits: The AMA connects you to marketers across all specialties to collaborate, network, gain practical experience, and empower your marketing career. You’ll get industry knowledge and insights along with everyday resources that will help you in the classroom and beyond!
- Events: There are several collegiate conferences throughout the year to provide the necessary marketing tools and help to start your career as a young marketing professional by providing important networking opportunities.
- Collegiate Awards and Competitions: You can take part in several competitions to help further your career! A few examples include the Northwestern Mutual Sales Competition, the SABRE Business Simulation, and the Donate Life America Case Competition.
- Career Resources: Students will be given the resources (webcasts, podcasts, articles, white papers, etc.) that are critical to learning the skills needed to make a successful transition from college life to a successful marketing career!
- Alpha Mu Alpha: The AMA has established a national marketing honorary for qualified students. To be eligible for this prestigious distinction within AMA, all senior undergraduate students holding a minimum overall GPA of 3.25 qualify.
Faculty and Student Accomplishments
Congratulations to the following Faculty and Students for their accomplishments!
- Congratulations to Dr. Susan Geringer who was granted tenure and was promoted to rank of Associate Professor!
- Congratulations to Drs. Motameni, Cords, and Geringer for their recent publication: Motameni, R., Cords, D. & Geringer, S. (May, 2013). “Accountants and Marketers Prolific Discourse”, Journal of International Business Disciplines, Volume 8, Number 1, 17-39.
- Congratulations to our newest faculty member Dr. Monique Bell, who successfully defended her dissertation on June 5, 2013. Her dissertation received the Drexel University's Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Award, and she was recognized at the university's doctoral student celebration and commencement and was featured in The Philadelphia Tribune: (Message from LeBow Marketing PhD Coordinator, Dr. Hyokjin Kwak): “I am pleased to inform you that our 5th-year PhD candidate, Monique Bell, has won Drexel University’s 2013 Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation award. She is the only recipient in the Social Science discipline. Monique’s dissertation has also won the 2012 Melvin and Patricia Stith Marketing Dissertation Grant ($10,000) and the 2012 Research Day Best Business Presentation ($500).
- Professor Schneider will once again have one of his MKTG 100s sections participating in Target’s Scholarship Grant activity this semester. Teams of four students will prepare marketing recommendations hopefully helpful to Target. This hands-on activity will allow team members to obtain a share of a $4,000 Spring 2014 tuition credit.
Words of Wisdom
"Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs."
- Farrah Gray
Previous Editions of The Marketing Minute