The College of Health and Human Services is committed to enhancing and enriching collaborative opportunities for students in each of our seven academic majors. Here's just a few programs that provide interprofessional learning:
Community Health Mobile Unit
Through the health mobile unit, students in nursing, athletic training, public health and dietetics (JCAST) are able to provide free, affordable health care services to underserved areas in Fresno County. This gives undergraduate and graduate level students an opportunity to gain experience working in rural communities, while practicing their clinical skills and working as a interdisciplinary health care team.
Health services include blood pressure screenings, diabetes screenings, immunization shots, health assessments, education and referrals.
For more information, contact Dr. Kathleen Rindahl at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more:Fresno State Magazine feature
Spring 2018 Schedule
- Feb. 8 (9 a.m. - 1 p.m.) - D&H Distributing (3701 S. Minnewawa, Fresno)
- Feb. 15 (9 a.m. - 1 p.m.) - Mary Ella Brown Community Center (1350 E. Annadale, Fresno)
- Feb. 22 (9 a.m. - 1 p.m.) - St. Mary Catholic Church (608 N. Church St., Visalia)
- Feb. 24 (7 a.m. - 2 p.m.) - Fresno Fairgrounds Flea Market & Swap Meet (1121 S. Chance Ave, Fresno)
- Feb. 27 (9 a.m. - 1 p.m.) - Butterfly Grove Apartments (5231 N. Fresno St., Fresno)
- March 1 (8 a.m. - 12 p.m.) - Firebaugh Rodeo Grounds (1655 13th St., Firebaugh, CA 93622)
- March. 8 (9 a.m. - 1 p.m.)- Poverello House (412 F Street Fresno, CA)
- March. 13 (9 a.m - 1 p.m.) - Dawnings (682 1st Ave. Dinuba, CA 93618)
- March. 15 (7 a.m. - 12 p.m.) - Falcon Court Turning Point (4415 N Clark St. #1 Fresno, CA 93726)
- March. 17 (7 a.m - 12 p.m.) - Faith Comm. Church Nazarene (430 Peach Ave. Clovis, CA 93612)
- March. 20 (8 a.m. - 12 p.m.) - Our Lady of the Sierra (40180 Indian Spring Rd. Oakhurst, CA 93614)
- Apr. 3 (9 a.m. - 1 p.m.) - Arambula - Panzak Park (101 N. 3rd St Fowler, CA 93625)
- Apr. 12 (9 a.m. - 1 p.m.) - Arambula - Orange Cove City Hall (633 6th St. Orange Cove, CA 93646)
- Apr. 16 (3 p.m. - 6:15 p.m.) - Central Comm. Church/Highway City Comm (4710 N Polk Ave. Fresno 93722)
- Apr. 17 (9 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.) - Arambula - Gonzalez Hall (1417 3rd St. Mendota, CA 93646)
- Apr. 19 ( 8 a.m. - 12 p.m.) - Lanare Community Food Bank (20620 S Grantland Ave. Riverdale, CA 93656)
- Apr. 21 (8 a.m. - 11 a.m.) - Refinery West McKinley Church (3014 W. McKinley Ave, Fresno)
- Apr. 21 (12 p.m. - 4 p.m.) - Valley Dream Center (1835 N. Winery Ave, Fresno)
- Apr. 24 (8 a.m. - 12 p.m.) - St Mary's Catholic Church (12588 Ave. 407 Cutler, CA
- Apr. 26 (9 a.m. - 1.pm.) - Madera Hope House (117 N. R Street Madera, CA)
- May 3 (9 a.m. - 12 p.m.) - Duncan Polytechnical High School (4330 E. Garland, Fresno)
Honors Program in Collaborative Leadership
Developed to create a collaborative academic program between departments, students in the Honors Program work together and with community partners on real-world, interdisciplinary projects that strive to provide healthy outcomes for the Fresno community.
Senior Awareness Fall Education Balance Screenings
Each semester, the S.A.F.E. program hosts a balance screening for adults (age 55 and over) that assess the strength, balance and risk of falling for pre-registered individuals and also provides educational materials, as well as a six-month post-assessment checkup. Fresno State students from nursing, physical therapy and kinesiology collaborate with pharmacy students from California Health Sciences University to complete the hour-long screenings, under the supervision of licensed nurse practitioners and physical therapists.
- February 20
- February 22
Service-learning and Study Abroad
Students within the college are exposed to service-learning and study-abroad opportunities that have taken them to countries, such as Fiji, Dominican Republic, Hong Kong and Taiwan to educate others on health care, provide disease prevention and build clean water filtration and sanitation systems, respectively.
Sustainable Parks and Recreation Community Initiative
SPARCI launched 19 courses throughout various colleges at Fresno State, all in partnership with the City of Fresno PARCS. From building trails to working with youth to creating more parks, students have been able to work directly with PARCS program managers and employees to enhance the landscape of Fresno County parks and recreation spaces.
Valley Children's Healthcare & CHHS Interprofessional Collaborative
Each semester, CHHS partners with VCH to provide Interprofessional Education workshops, which allow students from various majors (social work, nursing, communicative sciences, recreation administration) the opportunity to work on a case study alongside pediatric professionals at the hospital.
The interprofessional education model focuses on the Core Competencies for Interprofessional Collaborative Practice that prepare all health professionals to work together to build a safer and better patient-centered U.S. health care system.
For more information, contact Dr. Stephen Roberts at email@example.com.
- March 20 - Care of the Caregiver; Recognition and intervention of the Second Victim