ATTENTION MSW APPLICANTS | IMPORTANT DEADLINES :
DECEMBER 31, 2014 - Take your GRE Exam (Graduate Record Exam) is required in order to apply for Fall of 2014.
FEBRUARY 6, 2015 - Your MSW Application is due.
HOW TO APPLY
STEP 1 - Complete an university application at CSU Mentor.
- This site will provide you with the university (California State University, Fresno) on-line application which you are required to submit prior to completing the MSW Program application.
STEP 2 - Completing the MSW Application which is now an on-line application.
- NOTE: The mailing address you enter on your university application will be used for any communications regarding your MSW application, including the decision letter. It should correspond to the address on your MSW program application. You must notify the MSW program, in writing, of any address changes (in addition to changing it on your university profile) if you want to avoid misdirected mail.
STEP 3 - Complete the GRE Exam no later than December 31, 2014.
- This is required in order to receive your scores in time to include them in your application packet.
NOTE: If you are just applying to the MSW program, you need only:
- List the names of your references on the university application; the actual reference forms will be included in your MSW application packet.
- Indicate that you are submitting your statement of purpose in the MSW program application.
NOTE: If you are making application to other graduate programs that use only the university application, you may need to submit references and a statement to graduate admissions. You should check with the other graduate programs for their guidelines.
Accessing the MSW Application/Reference Form Files
Once you have completed and filed the university application at CSU Mentor you will be directed to the Social Work Department web site where the department application and required reference forms are available for download.
The following are instructions on where or how to submit your MSW admissions application packet to the department:
- You may deliver the application in person (or by someone you designate) to the department office.
- You may mail the application via (regular federal postal mail service, FedEx, or any other form of delivery service of your choice). The application packet must be postmarked no later 11:59 p.m. on the deadline date.
TURN IN YOUR MSW APPLICATION BY:
1. Mailing in your admissions application to:
Department of Social Work Education
Attn: Graduate Admissions
5310 N. Campus Drive, M/S PH102
Fresno CA 93740-8019
If you are mailing your application to the department office it MUST be post-marked no later than 11:59 p.m. by the deadline date to be announced later (NO EXCEPTIONS).
2. Dropping it off in person to:
The Social Work Department Office (in PHS-Professional Human Services Building, Room 128) located directly across/north of the Henry Madden Library and Peace Garden.
MAKE SURE YOUR MSW APLICATION IS COMPLETE
The Social Work Department office must receive ALL of the documents listed below for you to have a COMPLETE admissions application packet for the MSW program. Applicants submitting INCOMPLETE application packets will not be considered.
- A COMPLETED Department of Social Work Education MSW Admissions Application and statement of purpose. Information must be typed.
- Transcripts from all colleges or universities previously attended. (unofficial transcripts are accepted)
- GRE Test Scores
- 3 REFERENCES ONLY (all references MUST be completed on the required forms). References may attach a supplemental letter to the required forms. Please refer to the application directions in regards to references.
- A copy of the receipt (verification) that you have completed your csumentor.edu application for graduate study at the university.
ADMISSIONS REVIEW PROCESS
The Admissions Committee of the Department of Social Work Education is guided by the following criteria in evaluating applicants for admission to the graduate program:
- Academic performance
- Voluntary and/or paid experience in human service
- Professional Promise
Admission to the MSW program is competitive. We have many more applicants than we can accept in a given year’s class. We encourage you to attend the information sessions listed above and discuss with the co-chairs of the admissions committee how you might present the strongest application possible. Since an offer of admission can never be assured, you should also consider other options such as applying to other programs (MSW or related areas). If you do not receive an offer of admission, you might consider further strengthening of your academic or work/volunteer experience records.
We do not have “rolling” or “early admissions” so there is no specific advantage to submitting your application packet earlier in the application period. You should use the time you need to put together the strongest materials possible and submit it by the deadline.
NOTIFICATION OF THE COMMITTEE’S DECISION
After the admissions committee has reviewed all of the applications, you will be notified of their decision by regular mail; no information is given over the telephone. THE NOTIFICATION WILL BE SENT TO THE MAILING ADDRESS OF RECORD ON YOUR UNIVERSITY APPLICATION UNLESS WE RECEIVE WRITTEN NOTICE FROM YOU OF A CHANGE IN ADDRESS.