New & Transfer Students
Bachelor of Arts in Social Work Program Description
The bachelor's degree program prepares students to enter supervised professional social work practice and/or pursue admission to a range of graduate study programs and professional schools. This includes graduate study in social work leading to a master's in social work. Both the bachelor's and master's degree programs are accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
The bachelor's degree program in social work is a sequenced program that requires four consecutive semesters to complete. Please note the following:
- All prerequisites must be completed prior to entry into the social work program.
- Cohort of social work students begin the program in the fall semester of an academic year.
- No social work students are permitted to begin the program in the spring semester.
Community College Transfers
- The Department of Social Work Education welcomes transfers from community college human service programs and other liberal arts courses of study.
- Students transferring to Fresno State should plan on attending the "Dog Days" orientation sessions offered by the Division of Student Affairs.
Prerequisites for Freshman & Transfer Students
Pre-Social Work Prerequisite
- Students majoring in social work must successfully complete the pre-social work major, before being permitted to enroll in restricted and sequenced 100-level social work
- Pre-Social Work Major Course Prerequisites (Eff. AY 2013-2014):
- G.E. Area A1 (Comm 3,7, or 8) (3 units)
- G.E. Area A2 (Engl 10/Engl 5B) (3 units)
- G.E. Area A3* Critical Thinking (3 units)
- G.E. Area B4* Quantitative Reasoning (3 units)
- G.E. Area D2 American Government (Pol Sci 2) (3 units)
- G.E. Area D3 Social Science (Econ 25, 40 or 50) (3 units)
- G.E. Area E Life-long Understanding (PH 90) (3 units)
- SWRK 20 (3 units)
TOTAL (24 units)
* See G.E. list for approved courses. Each prerequisite must be completed with a minimum “C” grade – CR/NC grades are not acceptable. A GPA > 2.7 is required in the eight prerequisite courses.
The DSWE will honor articulation agreements between community college districts and Fresno State for equivalent courses meeting the requirements for Areas A1, A2, A3, B4, and D2.
Students must completed all other areas of Lower Division General Education (LDGE) and have earned a 2.7 or above cumulative GPA for all LDGE.
Students may apply for upper-division social work major status in the Social Work
Education Department office during the semester in which they expect to successfully
complete the above prerequisite requirements. Approval will be contingent upon satisfactory
fulfillment of these requirements.
B.A. in Social Work Degree Requirements
Major Requirements (42 units)
SWRK 20, 123, 135, 136, 160, 161 (or 161S), 170, 171, 180, 181, 182, 183
Note: Students must attain a minimum grade of C in each required course in social work major Students who receive a grade of less than C in any of the above courses must meet with their Social Work Education academic adviser and develop a plan for repeating the course and continuing the major. Refer to the Undergraduate Advising Guide for complete information on policies.
Additional Requirements (18 units)
May also count toward General Education
- (Select One) GERON 100, 103, PHIL 1, 20 (3 units).
- (Select One) GERON 134, 139, PHIL 120, 131, 150 (3 units)
- Approved upper-division electives (see list in department office) (9 units)
Cultural Diversity Ethnic Studies including Africana Studies and American Indian Studies; Chicano and Latin American Studies, Asian American Studies, or Women's Studies (3 units)
Six units from two of the following areas: Anthropology, Criminology, Psychology, or Sociology (6 units)
- Select three units from the following: SWRK 125, 128, 129, 137, or 152 (3 units)
General Education requirements (51 units)
Electives and remaining degree requirements* (13-24 units)(see Degree Requirements); may include a double major or minor
TOTAL (120 UNITS)