Welcome to the SAFE- Central Valley Coalition
SAFE is your One Stop Resource . . ."To reduce falls among older adults by raising awareness, establishing a network of
services and advocating on their behalf."
Just the Facts
- Every 15 seconds an older adult is treated in the ER for an fall, in the US
- Every 29 minutes an older adult dies from a fall injury, in the US
- 1 in 3 persons > 65 years of age will fall (1 in 2 persons > 80 years of age)
- 2/3 of those who experience a fall will fall again within 6 months
- Falls account for 90% of hip fractures; 40% of people hospitalized from hip fractures do not return home and are unable to live independently
- Although the 60+ age group represents 10% of the population, they account for over 40% of the hospitalizations due to injuries
- 75% of those hospitalizations due to unintentional injuries are due to falls
Why do older people fall?
- Intrinsic Risks (natural – within): cause 55% of falls
- Extrinsic Risks (environment): cause 40% of falls
- Risk Factors and Causes of falls are multi-factorial: environmental hazards, changes in medications, social setting, external demands (busy environment), balance and gait impairments, muscle weakness, slowed central processing, peripheral sensory loss, cognitive impairment
Good News... Falls are predictable and preventable!
Falls are predictable and preventable and not simply a determined cause of aging, specific risk factors have been researched
- All adults older than 65 years of age should be screened annually for a history of falls or balance impairment
- 6 Steps to Prevent Your Older Loved One From a Fall Video, created by the Administration on Aging for Fall Prevention Awareness Week 2015
It is important to know your risk factors!!
- Some are modifiable – know what you can do to decrease your risk
- Some are non-modifiable – know how to stay SAFE