Dr. Gary Lentell
D.P.T., Physical Therapy, Massachusetts General Hospital Institute of Health Professions
M.S., Physical Therapy, Massachusetts General Hospital Institute of Health Professions
B.S., Physical Therapy, California State University, Fresno, Ca
1993 - Present California State University, Fresno
Department of Physical Therapy
2001 - Present Children's Hospital of Central California
2006 - Present Post Operative Care Associates
Per Diem Physical Therapist
1989 - 1993 California State University, Fresno
Department of Physical Therapy
1984 - 1989 California State University, Fresno
Department of Physical Therapy
PHTH 207 Foundations of Patient Assessment in Physical Therapy
PHTH 217 Orthopedic Management in Physical Therapy I
PHTH 218 Orthopedic Management in Physical Therapy II
Advanced Physical Therapy Research - Data Collection & Analysis
Differential Diagnosis in Physical Therapy
Scientific and Professional Publications/Presentations (Peer Reviewed)
- Lentell G, Chock B, Schaefer M, Wilson K, Martin R, Iwamoto M: Dimensions of Cervical Neural Foramina in Resting and Retracted Positions Using Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy, 32(8) 380-390, 2002.
- Duttarer D, Lentell G, Baily A, Cadaoas C, Xu X. Physical Therapy Diagnosis and Treatment of Knee Pathologies: Computer Modules for Teaching Clinical Decision Making skills. Poster Presentation, 2002 Annual Conference, California Physical Therapy Association, Pasadena, CA
- Curtis KA, Tyner TM, Lentell GL, et al: Effect of a standard exercise protocol on shoulder pain in long-term wheelchair users. Spinal Chord 37:421-429, 1999.
- Lentell G, Baas B, Lopez D, McGuire L, Sarrals M, Synder P: The Relationship Between Proprioceptive Deficits, Muscle Function, and anatomic laxity in the Ankle with Functional Instability. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy 21(4) 206-215, 1995
- Lentell G, Hetherington T, Eagan J, Morgan M: The Use of Thermal Agents to Influence the Effectiveness of a Low Load Prolonged Stretch. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy 16(5) 200-207, 1992
Scientific and Professional Publications/Presentations (Non-Peer Reviewed)
- A New Approach to the Evaluation and Treatment of Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction. Presented with T Hetherington, PT, OCS, FAAOMPT, through Physical Therapy Department, California State University, Fresno (16 hours), 2002
- An Eclectic Approach to the Evaluation and Treatment of
Cervical Spine Dysfunction. Presented with T Hetherington, PT,
OCS, FAAOMPT, through Community Hospitals of Central California.
Aug 4, 2001 (8 contact hours)
- Teaching units presented to Students and Faculty of the
Functional Therapy Program, Universidad Autonoma de Honduras:
- The Use of Flexibility Exercises for Evaluation and Management of Spinal Dysfunction.
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation.
- Fractures/Dislocations about the Shoulder and upper extremity
- The Management of the Patient with Chronic Lumbar Spine Dysfunction. Visiting Lecture and Professional Development Series, Physical Therapy Department, California State University, Fresno (16 hours)
2005 - 06
Central California Sports Medicine Institute Fellowship. College of Health and Human Services Faculty Support Grant.
- Faculty Technology Fellowship. College of Health and Human
Services Faculty Support Grant.
Lentell G, Kurtis K: Graduate Student Research Traineeship. Funded by Sierra Pacific Orthopaedic Center, Fresno, CA. July, 2004
Lentell G, Chock B, Schaefer M, Wilson K, Martin R. Dimensions of Cervical Neural Foramina in Resting and Axial Extension Determined by Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Funded for in kind donations by Woodward Park Imaging Center, Fresno CA (1995 - 96).
40 cervical spinal x-rays, two views, with medical interpretation.
40 magnetic resonance imaging scans to the cervical spine with medical interpretation.
Lentell G: Case Report: the Effectiveness of Physical Therapy Assessment in Identifying Anatomical Cause of Low Back Pain in Patients Receiving Pain Relieving Injection to the Facet or Sacral Iliac Joints. College of Health and Human Services Faculty Research Support Grant.
Lentell G: Correlating Variables Indicating Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction in Patients Receiving Intra-articular Joint Injections. College of Health and Human Services Faculty Research Support Grant.
Lentell G: Functional Outcomes in Patients with Osteoarthritis of the Knee. College of Health and Human Services Faculty Research Support Grant. Graduate Student support grant of $8,000.
An International Partnership in Rehabilitation Education: A Collaboration between California State University, Fresno Physical Therapy Department and Universidad Autonoma de Honduras Functional Therapy Program. Two associated grants to support student travel, room and board costs while in Honduras:
1. International Programs office, California State University, Fresno
2. Faculty Research Support Funds College of Health and Human Services, California State University, Fresno
2002 - ongoing
Invited editorial review for manuscript submissions: Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy.
2002 - ongoing
Invited editorial review for manuscript submissions: British Journal of Sports Medicine .
- CSUF Solutions Center Team member for Project entitled : Worker Compliance and Educational Effectiveness of a Workplace Body Mechanics Training and Conditioning Program with Grundfos Pumps of Fresno. 2001 - 02
Acknowledged Reviewer of Text: Tovin B, Greenfield B (ed): Evaluation and Treatment the Shoulder. An Integration of the Guide to Physical Therapist Practice. F.A. Davis, Philadelphia, 2001
As Member, University Workstation Committee, 1995 - 2002. Developed an interactive educational computer module to promote ergonomic awareness for the computer workstation user, 1997 - 2000.
Developed and administrate University Ergonomic Workstation Lab and Staff\Faculty Workstation Evaluation program, 1996 to 2003.
- Volunteer, Physical Therapy Clinic, Holy Cross Clinic of the Poverello House, Fresno CA, 1993 to present. Coordinator of Physical Therapy services, 2000 to present.
- Founding Faculty Executive Committee Member, CSUF Veritas
Forum. Chair, Public Relations and Advertising subcommittee 2004
Developed and presented a campus wide, 3 day event, February 15-17. External and internal funding sources secured to bring to campus 7 nationally and internationally recognized speakers across the fields of art, business, environmental studies, music, women's studies, and philosophy. Eight major public forums presented, with over 2,500 total attendance.
Paneled, California Children's Services in Physical Therapy, July, 2001. Department of Health Services, State of California, August 2001.
- Established a formal agreement of academic co-operation between Physical Therapy Department of California State University, Fresno and the School of Functional Therapy at the Univiversidad Nacional Autonoma De Honduras, 1999.
Scientific/Professional Honorary Societies
American Physical Therapy Association (APTA)
University, Community, and Professional Service
Faculty Advisor, Campus Crusade for Christ; California State University Fresno, 1985 to present.
Member, University International Programs Advisory Board, International Program Assessment Subcommittee. 2004 - Present
Member, University Workstation Committee, 1995 - 2002
College of Health and Human Services
Personnel Committee, 2000 to 2002
Physical Therapy Department Services
Chair, Personnel Committee, 1993 to 1997, 1998 to present
Chair, Department Search Committee for Chair and Teaching faculty searches, 1997 - 1999, 2001, 2002, 2004
Chair, Planning Committee, Physical Therapy 32'd Anniversary Alumni Celebration, 2003 - 2004
Chair - Department Human Subjects Review Committee, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2002, 2005, 2006
Co-Chair, Planning Committee, Physical Therapy Department 25th Anniversary Alumni Celebration, 1997 - 1998
Awards or other Forms of Recognition
California State Employee Safety Award, Gray Davis, Governor, 2000