The Sport Psychology Program and the Student Sport Psychology club frequently organize and host a wide range of educational sport psychology events for students and members of the local community. For example, we have hosted three AASP Regional Conferences (2002, 2004, 2009) and frequently conduct mental training workshops for local coaches and athletes. See below for examples and summaries of some recent sport psychology events:
Informal discussion panels with a wide range of world-leading scholars and successful coaches are also a regular part of our event programming. This list presents some of the distinguished coaches and scholars who have participated in past sport psychology events hosted at Fresno State:
- Adrian Wiggins – head women’s basketball coach at Fresno State, WAC coach of the Year, coached team to four straight NCAA tournament appearances.
- Bob Fraley – former director of track & field at Fresno State, USA Track & Field's 2003 Nike Coach of the Year, member of the Pole Vault Hall of Fame
- Dr. Bruce Gillies - professor at California Lutheran University, performance enhancement consultant specializing in working with athletic teams at all levels to improve team dynamics and leadership skills.
- Dr. Gordon Bloom - associate professor in the Department of Kinesiology & Physical Education at McGill University, internationally recognized scholar in coaching psychology.
- Dr. Jean Côté - professor and director in the School of Kinesiology and Health Studies at Queen's University, internationally recognized scholar in coaching science and youth development through sport.
- Dr. Jerry Lynch – best-selling author and national champion distance runner, sport psychology consultant to NCAA champions, professional teams to youth sports organizations, founder and director of the Tao Sports Center for Athletic Development in Santa Cruz, California.
- Jason Meyers – 2010 world champion, World of Outlaws auto racing.
- Jim Santos - former USA Olympic and Pan American Games Track Coach, member US Track Coaches Hall of Fame, Founder of the Navy Run Jump 'n' Throw Program.
- Kim Kreiner – 4-time USA javelin champion, 2-time member of USA Olympic team, 2003 Pan American Games champion.
- Dr. Leonard Zaichkowsky – director of sport science, Vancouver Canucks (NHL), professor in the School of Education, Boston University.
- Margie Wright - head coach women's softball at Fresno State, 1998 NCAA championship coach, NCAA all-time winningest softball coach.
- Mike Batesole - head coach men’s baseball at Fresno State, 2008 NCAA championship coach, 2-time national coach of the year.
- Dr. Mike Voight - lecturer in the Kinesiology and Physical Education Department at the University of Southern California USC, AASP certified consultant who has consulted with many college and professional athletes, including USC national champion women's volleyball and men's football teams.
- Dr. Pierre Trudel - professor in the School of Human Kinetics at Ottawa University, internationally recognized scholar in coaching science, member of a United Nations Expert Panel on Sport and Physical Education.
- Dr. Ronald Gallimore – distinguished professor of psychology emeritus at UCLA, award-winning researcher and author.
- Rueben Nieves - 1997 NCAA championship coach at Stanford.
- Swen Nater – Two-time NCAA basketball champion under coach John Wooden at UCLA, 10-year NBA career, best-selling author and championship coach.
- Takeyuki Sudou - 1992 and 1996 Japanese Olympic Rowing Coach, 4-time national champion rowing coach.