Sport Administration Classes
Graduate students in our program take the following Sport Administration courses:
- Sport Career Development: This course teaches students how to break into the sport industry. Students undergo a career analysis to determine their current market value and then develop a strategic sport career plan to differentiate themselves from others in the sport industry. In addition, students learn how to build a personal brand and essential networking skills and will meet a minimum of 50 new sport network contacts in their chosen sport profession.
- Sport Leadership: In sport you can be just another a worker, a manager, or a sport leader. Sport Leadership is designed to teach students the difference between these types of positions and how to develop the essential skills to lead, manage, & supervise others in the sport industry.
- Sport Revenue: The ability to generate revenue is one of the most sought after skills by sport employers. In Sport Revenue students learn about the various revenue streams of sport organizations, such as sport sales, sponsorships, and fundraising. Students learn how to generate revenue and then receive hands-on training in this course.
- Professional Ethics: In Professional Ethics students tackle some of the most talked about topics in sport and the most pressing issues they will face as managers and leaders.
- Sport Law: Sport Law prepares sport managers and leaders for the primary legal issues that they will face during their sport careers and how to develop a risk management plan to minimize those risks.
- Research Methods: Knowing where to find reliable information and how to report it is critical in the sport workplace; students learn how to do both here.
- Statistics: Statistics is an essential course for all graduate programs and plays a key role in many sport careers. For example, sabermetrics, made famous in the movie "Money Ball" is quickly becoming the norm in scouting and analyzing players.
- Sport Internship: There is no substitute for experience in sport. Our students are allowed to take 2 internships and are encouraged to volunteer for as many other sport experiences as possible. Students are supervised by both Fresno State faculty and an onsite sport organization supervisor.
- Electives: In addition to these courses, students select two additional elective courses to gain more knowledge in their chosen career area. For example, with the assistance of the Sport Administration Program Coordinator, students can choose a sport internship, and/or classes in Title IX Compliance, business, marketing, finance, etc. No matter what your career goal in sport, you can choose courses that are beneficial to you.