L-Jay Fine, Ph.D.
Director, Collaborative Leadership Program
“Keats said that 'nothing becomes real until experienced'. Regardless of one’s learning style—auditory, kinesthetic, or visual—we all learn best when given an opportunity to apply new knowledge to real-life situations. Learning by doing has its roots in the earliest teaching methods. However, it is only in recent times that educators have honed their skills in facilitating reflection—the Rosetta Stone of learning. By providing real-life simulations in the safety of a laboratory environment, participants can delve into deeper learning and discover for themselves insights to carry into their professional and personal lives.” . . . L-Jay Fine, Ph.D.
Since 1987, L-Jay has taught in the California State University System and is currently a full professor at Fresno State University. He teaches Leadership, Interprofessional Collaboration, and Facilitation Methods. He has published articles on interprofessional collaboration, human development stages, and temporary systems (short term ad hoc groups). In 2005, he received the Provost’s Award for Excellence in Teaching.
- Collaborative Leadership Program—California State University, Fresno, 1995 - Present: Serving as director of one of the only campus programs in the U.S. offering graduate and post-service education in collaboration leadership or interprofessional education. Taking interdisciplinary teams (e.g., nurses, psychologists, social workers, educators, and law enforcement officials) to create a collaborative approach to providing child or client-centered services.
- E.D.G.E. Program—California State University, Fresno, 1990 – Present:As director of the experiential learning laboratory L-Jay facilitated hundreds of team and leadership development programs. These include the Fresno Housing Authority, Sierra Mental Health Academy, Central Valley Health Consortium, San Joaquin Valley Air Quality Control Board, Fresno State Equestrian Team, and State Farm Insurance (legal branch)
Action Learning Associates, LLC, As a Senior Associate, L-Jay specializes in jump starting action learning teams in executive development programs. Recent client engagements have included:
- Dow Chemical- H.H. Dow Academy--Creating our Future, 2006– Present.
- PricewaterhouseCoopers— New Partner Experience Program, 2004 – Present.
- CISCO SLP— Strategic Leadership Program 2005.
L-Jay lives in Bass Lake, California, with his wife, Kelly, and twelve year old daughter, Jessica. Bass Lake is in the Sierra Nevada foothills adjacent to Yosemite National Park.