Social Work Program Admission Policies & Procedures
Fresno State's Bachelors in Social work program is on impacted status (the number of applications received is greater than the number of vacancies for the program). Therefore, admission into the Social Work major is very competitive; there is no waiting list. Applicants must have all Pre Requisites completed to be eligible to apply.
- Pre-Health to Social Work Application Process
- Transfer Students to Social Work Application Process (Fall 2020-Present)
- Continuing Pre-Social Work (Pre Fall 2020) Application Process
The College of Health and Human Services Pre-Health Program provides support to students exploring careers in the health and human services professions with academic advising and career exploration. The Pre-Health Program allows students interested in: Nursing, Kinesiology-Exercise Science, Public Health-Community Health and Social Work to explore these majors and career pathways.
- Students follow a three semester sequence of courses before they apply to the program of their choice
- All Pre-Health students in their first semester will enroll in HHS 18: Career Pathways in Health and Human Services in their first semester to help in the exploration process.
- All Students will take similar courses in the second semester and also during the second semester an academic counselor will work with students’ to identify a major appropriate to their career path
- During the beginning of their third semester they will apply to the major of their interest.
The Application process for the four majors that are part of the Pre-Health program will be as follows:
- Students are identified and sent an application link to apply to one four the four
programs represented through Pre-Health.
- Kinesiology-Exercise Science
- Social Work
- Public Health-Community Health
- Students will apply to the top two majors of their choice in October of the third semester
- Students will be sent acceptance/denial letter before the registration date for fall semester
- Students will accept/decline the offered major
- Students will be changed into accepted major by department
- Student will register for Semester 4 classes that are set by specific Major
- Students are identified and sent an application link to apply to one four the four programs represented through Pre-Health.
- Student applies to the University through CAL State Apply Oct 1st-Nov 30th
- Student fills out additional application/Supplemental Application materials through CAL State Apply
- The Social Work program gets information from admissions as to who has applied
- Program reviews transfer students application information
- Program makes decisions based on criteria set by department
- Program lets the admissions know their admissions decisions of who they have accepted to the program Early
- Admissions and Department send out admissions decisions together
- Students who are accepted are admitted to Social Work major and register for first semester course sequence during Dog Days Orientation
- Students who are not selected to program will be changed to their secondary major option
- Change of Major: Since Pre-Social Work will no longer exist students would not be able to change their major and would not be allowed to apply to the Social Work program after starting their first semester at Fresno State. Students would need to graduate in the secondary major.
- At the end of every fall semester after grades post students will be identified to
find the following:
- Who is done with all requirements after the Fall semester
- Who will be done with all requirements at end of Spring semester
- Students are sent a link to apply to Social Work Program
- The Social Work Program will evaluate applicants and send applicants conditional acceptance or denial to program
- Students changed into accepted major by department
- Student will register for Fall courses
- At the end of Spring semester students will be rechecked to make sure all requirements
have still been met
- If a student meets all requirements student will continue on to Fall classes
- If a students does not meet requirements student will be disenrolled for the Fall classes and will have to reapply