Fresno State's BSN program is on impacted status (the number of applications received is greater than the number of vacancies for the program). Therefore, admission into the nursing major is very competitive; there is no waiting list. Applicants must reapply each time and compete with the entire applicant pool if not selected.
Eligibility will be based upon a holistic review of application for admittance to the BSN.
|Oral Communication (COMM 3, 7, or 8)||A1||3|
|Written Communication (ENGL 5B or 10)||A2||3|
|Critical Thinking (SOC 3 preferred)||A3||3|
|Statistics (MATH 11 or PH 92 preferred)||B4||3|
|General Chemistry (CHEM 3A)||B1 & B3||4|
|Introductory Microbiology (BIOL 20)||B2||4|
|Anatomy & Physiology I (BIOL 67A)*||4|
|Anatomy & Physiology II (BIOL 67B)*||4|
*Human Anatomy and Human Physiology courses taken at the Community Colleges will be accepted. Please contact FSNursingAdmissions@mail.fresnostate.edu to verify courses.
Prerequisite Course Policy
- Each prerequisite must be completed with a minimum 'C' grade
- CR/NC grades are NOT accepted (excluding Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate
- One repeat is allotted within the eight prerequisite courses
- "W" grade within the science prerequisite courses are counted as a repeat
- First course taken in each category with a grade of "C" or higher will be counted
- Online, web-based, or distance learning science and laboratory courses taken at other institutions must be approved by the School of Nursing
Students are not to apply with prerequisite courses still in progress. All eligible applicants are to be declared as Pre-Nursing upon application.
Fresno State Student
*See Supplemental Application Information.
Supplemental Application Information
- Supplemental application is accessed via NursingCAS (www.nursingcas.org)
- Application fee is $45
Fall Admission Cycle
(March 1 - 31)
Spring Admission Cycle
(July 1 - 31)
Open to ALL eligible applicants.
Open to all eligible continuing Fresno State student applicants.
(Eligible applicants must have completed one fulltime semester at Fresno State at the time of application.)
*NOTE: NursingCAS application deadline is before 11:59PM EST.
Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS)
Effective Fall 2017
- Maximum of two attempts to earn the required 75% or higher. Students will be allowed to take the TEAS beyond 2 attempts, only after 5 years have passed from the first attempt.
- TEAS VI is only accepted.
- TEAS V still accepted if taken prior to Fall 2017 with a score of 75% or higher.
- Testing Services (559-278-2457, Family/Food Sciences 110)
- Visit the TEAS website for more information: www.atitesting.com
Post-Baccalaureate Nursing Admissions
- Meet minimum eligibility.
- Provide DD214 with an honorable discharge.
Nursing Admissions & University Policies
Pre-Nursing & Nursing Admissions Policies
- Student must be declared Pre-Nursing to apply to Fresno State's BSN Program.
Change of / Declaration of Double Major
- Students with 75 or more units cannot change their major or declare double major into Pre-Nursing.
Applying to BSN for non-majors (Excess Units)
- Students with 90 or more units may not apply to the BSN program unless already declared Pre-Nursing.
Adding a Second Major
- Students who wish to declare a second major must submit a plan approved by the department offering the second major which demonstrates that the new major can be completed within 144 units. Students may not add a second major after completing the requirement for their first major unless students have not exceeded 120 earned units at the time of declaration.
Changing a Major
- Student requests to change a major must be approved by the department of the new major/option indicating that the student has been advised. If the student has 90 or more earned units, the request to the new department must be accompanied by a plan demonstrating that the new major can be completed within 144 units. If you are exceeding 144 units, the plan and request to change major or minor must be reviewed by Dean of Undergraduate Studies. Subject to approval.
International Students / Coursework & Admissions Eligibility
No prerequisite courses taken at an international institution are accepted to fulfill the nursing admissions prerequisites. Equivalent prerequisite course and nursing additional requirements must be taken and/or repeated at domestic institution in the U.S.
For questions regarding the Nursing application, please contact the Nursing Admissions Office / CHHS ACDC at 559.278.5027 or via email at FSNursingAdmissions@mail.fresnostate.edu.