This relatively new discipline incorporates spatial analysis, remote sensing, geovisualization, geocomputation, cognition, and computer science. GIS is a tool for visualizing large databases that has become a multibillion-dollar industry employing hundreds of thousands of professionals around the world. The ability of the technology to combine and synthesize nearly every form of geographic information has made it a major tool with global applications.
It's Offered Online!
The GIS Certificate of Advanced Study is an online program, geared to accommodate participants’ busy work schedules. Since it's offered online, students from outside the university service area may enroll in the program.
Who Might Benefit From It?
Those who would benefit from the GIS Certificate of Advanced Study include:
- Non-traditional students; e.g., professionals from the private and public sectors.
- Educators, local town government officials, etc., with an undergraduate degree in any area who wish to acquire technical expertise.
- Traditional students who wish to acquire specialized training to meet current or future job requirements in GIS.
The Certificate is designed for students with little or no experience in GIS.
What the Program Provides
The GIS Certificate of Advanced Study program goal is to provide a strong foundational education that delves into the principles and real-world applications of GIS. Students will explore the principal tenets of GIS by completing coursework that builds their credentials and capitalizes on a marketplace hungry for skilled employees.
The courses within the online certificate in GIS enable students:
- To become well-versed in GIS theory
- To become knowledgeable in designing and managing spatial databases
- To become versed in building and using spatial data models
- To be creatively perceptive regarding spatial decision-making
More Information and To Apply
Our course of study provides a course listing, descriptions, and required units. See also: