Introduction to Medical Interpreting
Pre-Requisite: Passing the Medical Interpreting Entrance Exam or Court Interpreting Entrance Exam (offered in previous semesters).
This 40-hour class will provide bilingual participants with: an Introduction to Medical Interpreting techniques, theory, concepts, medical terminology, professional development, healthcare interpreter standards and cultural awareness and the modes of interpreting; focusing on consecutive interpreting. The class will teach the skills required to handle and control the flow of the sessions, provide an in-depth discussion of ethical principles, and discuss strategies that will assist the participants on how to handle the challenges presented on a day-to-day basis.
Course Material Requirements:
- Recorders (any recordable device)
- Bilingual dictionary (student’s choice - will be used for both courses)
- Introduction to Healthcare for Spanish-speaking Interpreters and Translators by Ineke H.M. Crezee, Holly Mikkelson and Laura Monzon-Storey (will be used for both courses)
ISBN: 978-90-272-1221-4 (hardcover) $149
ISBN: 978-90-272-1222-1 (paperback) $39
ISBN: 978-90-272-6868-65 (Ebook) $39
- English-Spanish Medical Dictionary: Diccionario Medico Espanol-Ingles Ingles-Espanol / Edition 4 Onyria Herrera McElroy ISBN: 1608311295 (will be used for both courses)
- The Interpreter’s Rx (http://www.aceboproducts.com/) (will be used for both courses)
- The instructor will also provide other materials.
Dates: September 17 - November 18, 2018
Class No.: 77442 (web-based)
Preregistration recommended by September 7, 2018.
Instructor: Soraya Alamdari, Ph.D., CHI™, CMI-Spanish is a Certified Healthcare Interpreter and a graduate of University of California, Los Angeles. Dr. Alamdari has been teaching in the interpreting and translation field since 2008.
REGISTRATION IS CLOSED