Welcome to the American English Institute
Click on any of the links in the table above to get more information about the respective categories.
Celebrating Over Forty Years of Excellence!
- The application period for Early Spring and Spring 2015 ends on Nov 10, 2014 or when classes are full. Processing will being in mid-September.
- The application period for Early Fall, Late Fall, and Fall 2014 is CLOSED. Classes are full.
The American English Institute (AEI), located on the beautiful campus of California State University, Fresno, "Fresno State," has offered a non-credit intensive English program for international students since 1972. The AEI program is operated through the California State University, Fresno Foundation and is under the umbrella of Continuing and Global Education. The AEI is a member of the American Association of Intensive English Programs (AAIEP).
The AEI has two primary missions:
1) to offer intensive English instruction for international students preparing for studies at California State University, Fresno, or at another college or university in the United States
2) to provide teacher training for students in the Linguistics Department at California State University, Fresno, who are preparing for a career in teaching English as a Second Language.
AEI courses are designed to prepare students for academic study at a U.S. college or university. In addition, the courses prepare students for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), which is required for admission to most colleges and universities in the United States. The courses also help students improve their communication skills for everyday life in an English-speaking country.
Sessions Offered (20 hours of instruction per week)
- Early and Late Fall: 8 weeks of instruction each
- Early and Late Spring: 8 weeks of instruction each
- Summer: 8 weeks of instruction
- Low-intermediate to advanced levels ( no beginning level)
- Click on this Self-Assessment if you are unsure of your level. You should understand about 90% of the Student Reading Self-Assessment passage and answer at least 4 out of 6 questions correctly.
- An orientation program before classes begin
- Up-to-date teaching methods
- Trained and experienced instructors
- Computer-Assisted-Language-Learning Lab
- TOEFL testing
- Concurrent enrollment in one university course for qualified students with advanced English skills
- Regular social and cultural activities
- Trips to such places as San Francisco, Santa Cruz, or Monterey.
AEI students are able to take advantage of the many programs and activities at Fresno State. Fresno State has an enrollment of approximately 20,000 students, including 800 from other countries throughout the world. It offers bachelor's degrees in approximately 60 subject areas, master's degree programs in more than 40 subject areas, and several doctoral programs.
Students interested in attending California State University, Fresno, after attending the AEI should contact the International Student Services and Programs (ISSP) office for application and admission information. Admission to AEI does not ensure admission to California State University, Fresno.