Welcome to the American English Institute
Celebrating 40 Years of Excellence!
Important Reminder: We are processing summer 2013 applications. The deadline for out-of-country applications is Friday, April 5th. The deadline for transfer students is Friday, April 12th.
We will begin processing fall 2013 applications after May 8th. Please take a look at our 2013 and 2014 Session and Fee schedule for new fall dates.
The American English Institute (AEI), located on the beautiful campus of California State University, Fresno, has offered a non-credit intensive English program for international students since 1972. The AEI program is operated through the California State University, Fresno Foundation. The AEI is closely affiliated with the university's Linguistics Department, which is in the College of Arts and Humanities. The AEI is a member of the American Association of Intensive English Programs (AAIEP).
The AEI has two primary missions:
1) to provide intensive English instruction for international students preparing for studies at California State University, Fresno or at another college or university in the United States, and
2) to provide teacher training for students in the Linguistics Department at California State University, Fresno, who are preparing for a career in teaching English as a Second Language.
AEI courses are designed to prepare students for academic study at a U.S. college or university. In addition, the courses prepare students for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), which is required for admission to most colleges and universities in the United States. The courses also help students improve their communication skills for everyday life in an English-speaking country.
Three Sessions a Year
- Fall: 13 weeks of instruction (20 hours per week)
- Spring: 13 weeks of instruction (20 hours per week)
- Summer: 10 weeks of instruction (20 hours per week)
- Low-intermediate to advanced levels ( no beginning level)
- Click on this Self-Assessment if you are unsure of your level. You should understand about 90% of the Student Reading Self-Assessment passage and answer at least 4 out of 6 questions correctly.
- An orientation program before classes begin
- Up-to-date teaching methods
- Trained and experienced instructors
- Computer-Assisted-Language-Learning Lab
- TOEFL testing
- Concurrent enrollment in one university course for qualified students with advanced English skills
- Regular social and cultural activities
- Trips to such places as San Francisco, Santa Cruz, or Monterey.
California State University, Fresno, has an enrollment of approximately 20,000 students, including 800 from other countries throughout the world. It offers bachelor's degrees in approximately 60 subject areas, master's degree programs in more than 40 subject areas, and a doctoral program in Educational Leadership (Ed.D.).
Students interested in attending California State University, Fresno, after attending the AEI should contact the International Student Services and Programs (ISSP) office for application and admission information. Admission to AEI does not ensure admission to California State University, Fresno.