Natural Sciences - Earth Science Option, B.A.
Bachelor of Arts Degree Requirements
Natural Sciences Major
Earth Science Option
The B.A. in Natural Sciences serves as a waiver program for the Single Subject Teaching Credential in Science. Please contact CSM Advising and Resources Center (ARC) at 559.278.4150 for advising and more information.
The degree is also a suitable choice for students with a general interest in earth science and interest in pursuing a career in environmental science, law, medicine, dentistry, optometry, and other areas for which the breadth of scientific coverage of this degree is advantageous.
The B.A. in Natural Sciences with the Earth Science Emphasis is as follows:
1. Major Requirements (80 units)
Natural Science (3 units)
Physical Science (4 units)
Earth Science Option (44 units)
PHYS 2A, 2B (see note 1) (8 units)
MATH 75 (4 units)
EES 12, 30, 100, 101, 102, 105, 112, 155 (25 units)
Select two courses: EES 110, 114, 117, 124; GEOG 111 (6 units)
EES 3 (1 unit)
2. General Education requirements (49 units)
3. Other requirements (6 units)
Upper-division writing and Multicultural and International (MI)
4. Sufficient elective units to meet required total units (varies)
5.Total (120 units) (see notes 2,3)*
* G.E. and MI courses can be double-counted with major requirements. The writing requirement may be met by taking the upper-division writing exam. See advisor for details.
Advising Notes for all Options within the Natural Sciences Major
- Substitutions may be made with the permission of the appropriate department chair. PHYS 4A-B-C with labs 4AL, 4BL is recommended instead of PHYS 2A-B for those students well-prepared for physics.
- This total assumes that students in this option will maximize 13 units required for the major that also may be applied to fulfill General Education requirements as follows: CHEM 1A/1AL (4 units), BIOL 1A (3 units), EES 168 (3 units) and, depending on emphasis and choice, MATH 75 (3 units). Consult your major advisor for details.
In compliance with Federal Requirements for Posting Licensure and Certification Eligibility, please see the CSU Chancellor’s Office calstate.edu website.
B.A. in Natural Sciences - Earth Science Option
A Roadmap identifies the specific set of courses students must complete in their major in sequential order. Information on corequisites or prerequisites is listed along with other pertinent information to assist students in completing courses towards the major.
Please note: Roadmaps are not a guarantee of course availability.
If you are looking for archived roadmaps, please click here.