Natural Sciences - Biology Option, B.A.
Bachelor of Arts Degree Requirements
Natural Sciences Major
Teaching Credential - Biology Option
The B.A. in Natural Sciences serves as a waiver program for the Single Subject Teaching Credential in Science. This degree program is designed for students who wish to become high school science teachers. Students may also complete the credential requirements while obtaining a B.S. in biology. Please contact Mr. Jaime Arvizu, College of Science and Mathematics counselor, for advising and more information at 559.278.5173. The B.A. in Natural Sciences with the Biology Option is as follows:
1. Major Requirements (75-77 units)
Natural Science (3 units)
Physical Science (4 units)
Biology Option (39-41 units)
CHEM 8 or 128A (3 units)
PHYS 2A, 2B (see note 1) (8 units)
MATH 75 (4 units)
MATH 101 or PSYCH 42 (4 units)
BIOL 102, 103, 104, 105 (10 units)
BIOL 120 (4 units)
Select one course: BIOL 122, 124, 125, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 171, 172 (3-4 units)
Select one course: BIOL 160, 161, 162 and 162L, 163 (3-4 units)
2. General Education requirements (49 units) (See note 2)
3. Other requirements (6 units)
Upper-division writing and Multicultural and International (MI)
4. Sufficient elective units to meet required total units (varies)
5.Total (120 units)*
* G.E. and MI courses can be double-counted with major requirements. The writing requirement may be met by taking the upper-division writing exam. See advisor for details.
Advising Notes for all Options within the Natural Sciences Major
- Substitutions may be made with the permission of the appropriate department chair. PHYS 4A-B-C with labs 4AL, 4BL is recommended instead of PHYS 2A-B for those students well-prepared for physics.
- This total assumes that students in this option will maximize 13 units required for the major that also may be applied to fulfill General Education requirements as follows: CHEM 1A/1AL (4 units), BIOL 1A (3 units), EES 168 (3 units) and, depending on emphasis and choice, MATH 75 (3 units). Consult your major advisor for details.
B.A. in Natural-Sciences - Biology
A Roadmap identifies the specific set of courses students must complete in their major in sequential order. Information on corequisites or prerequisites is listed along with other pertinent information to assist students in completing courses towards the major.
Please note: Roadmaps are not a guarantee of course availability.
If you are looking for archived roadmaps, please click here.