Administrative Services - Preliminary Credential


Department of Educational Leadership

Susana Hernández, Chair
Education Building, Room 350

Dr. Jennifer Watson, Program Coordinator for M.A. in Education Option: Educational Leadership and Administration

Education Building, Room 461

Dr. Varaxy Yi Borromeo, Higher Education Administration & Leadership, Pathway facilitator
Education Building, Room 365

Degrees and Programs Offered

CRED in Administrative Services - Preliminary Credential
CRED in Admin Serv Cert of Eligibility
CRED in Administrative Services - Internship Credential
MA in Education - Educational Leadership & Administration Option, M.A.

Courses Offered

Program Description

Our mission is to develop scholar-practitioners committed to advancing equity and excellence in educational leadership for P-12 and higher education throughout the Central Valley by offering graduate degrees and advanced credentials.


Administrative Services Credentials

Dr. Jennifer Watson, Coordinator
Education Building, Room 459

Individuals who wish to serve as educational administrators must complete preliminary and advanced levels of preparation. Holders of the Preliminary Administrative Services Credential and the Professional Clear Administrative Services Credential are authorized to serve in such positions as district superintendent, principal, program director, and any related administrative assignments at all school levels.

In special circumstances, students may be eligible for the Administrative Internship Credential. This credential allows students to have a full-time position requiring an administrative credential while they are working toward the completion of the Preliminary Administrative Services Credential.

P-12 Administration. The Preliminary Administrative Services Credential Program is a 24 semester unit program that provides basic preparation for employment in a P-12 public school administrative position. The Professional Administrative Services Credential Program is a 10 semester unit program. Once an individual completes the Preliminary Administrative Services Credential and obtains an administrative position, an application must be made to the Professional Administrative Services Credential Program within the first year of employment. The program provides individually designed advanced preparation in professional development, transformational leadership, school law, school finance, school human resource management, and other areas necessary for leadership in all education settings.

Grade Requirements. To be recommended for the Administrative Credential, a student must maintain academic excellence in all coursework. Once an NC or one letter grade of C or less has been earned in any course, the student will be placed on program academic probation. Upon the receipt of two NCs or letter grades of C or lower, at any point in the administrative credential program, the student will automatically be disqualified from the program.

Admission Requirements. In addition to the admission requirements listed in the Graduate Education Program section of this catalog, Administrative Services Credential and Administrative Internship Credential program applicants must meet the following requirements:

  1. Provide verification of advising.
  2. Evidence of possession of a valid basic prerequisite credential (Multiple Subject, Single Subject, Education Specialist, or Pupil Personnel Services credentials).
  3. Evidence of having passed the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST).

Program Requirements. Candidates for the Preliminary Administrative Services Credential who have been admitted to the program and who want to be recommended for this authorization must meet the following requirements:

  1. Possess a valid California teaching credential based on a bachelor's degree or a Pupil Personnel Services Credential.
  2. Verify three years of successful, full-time experience in public schools (or in private schools of equivalent status.)
  3. Complete ERE 288 (or CI 285); EAD 261, 262, 263, 269, 272, and 274.
  4. Receive a passing score on the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST).
  5. Pass the competency exit review.
  6. Complete a master's degree.



For faculty phone numbers and e-mail, see the campus directory.

For more on the faculty, see the faculty pages.
The faculty pages are updated by the department or program.