Communicative Disorders - Speech Pathology Option, B.A.


Department of Communicative Sciences and Deaf Studies

Steven Skelton, Ph.D., Chair
5310 N. Campus Drive M/S PH 80
559-278-2423 (V)
559-278-5187 (Fax)

Degrees and Programs Offered

BA in Communicative Disorders - Audiology Option, B.A.
BA in Communicative Disorders - Speech Pathology Option, B.A.
BA in Communicative Disorders - Interpreting Option, B.A.
BA in Communicative Disorders - Deaf Education Option, B.A.
BA in Communicative Disorders - Deaf Studies Option, B.A.
CRED in Special Education Mod/Sev Disab Internship
CRED in Education Specialist Deaf & Hard of Hearing - Clear Credential
CRED in Education Specialist Deaf and Hard of Hearing - Preliminary Credential
CRED in Speech-Language Pathology Services - Preliminary, Credential
MA in Communicative Disorders - Deaf Education Option, M.A.
MA in Communicative Disorders - Speech-Language Pathology Option, M.A.
MN in Communicative Disorders, Minor

Courses Offered

The Field of Communicative Sciences and Deaf Studies

Audiology, speech-language pathology, deaf education and interpreting are concerned with many issues related to speech, hearing, and language. Professionals in these fields are devoted to providing diagnostic, rehabilitative, and educational services to children and adults with communicative challenges.

Bachelor of Arts

The Bachelor of Arts degree in Communicative Disorders provides the students with a liberal arts foundation integrated with courses designed to provide a basic understanding of speech, language, and hearing development and communicative problems. Students pursuing deaf studies have two options: deaf education and interpreting. Students majoring in deaf education and speech-language pathology can continue their options in our graduate program.

Master of Arts

Education beyond the bachelor's degree is necessary for completion of the academic, credential, and licensure requirements leading to professional employment. Two professional option areas are available to the student:

  • Deaf Education. Our deaf education program gives you a broad background in bilingual-bicultural education, total communication, and cued speech philosophies along with speech, language, auditory training, deaf culture, and American Sign Language. This program includes all of the essential elements of a good education for deaf and hard-of-hearing children. The program is nationally accredited by the Council of Education of the Deaf (CED).
  • Speech-Language Pathology. Our speech and language pathology program provides you with a broad professional background in normal speech and language development, language disorders, swallowing disorders, voice disorders, articulation disorders, and fluency disorders. The program is nationally accredited by the Council for Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA).

The undergraduate curriculum plus a master's degree in communicative disorders prepares you for one or more of the following: state licensure as a speech-language pathologist, national certification in speech-language pathology by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, provisional certification in deaf education by the Council on Education of the Deaf, Levels I and II Education Specialist Credential: Deaf and Hard of Hearing, and the Speech-Language Pathology Services Credential.

Certificate in Conversational American Sign Language

A program of study leading to a Certificate in Conversational American Sign Language has become popular to many students pursuing professional fields and other majors on campus. The demand for health and human services professionals who can communicate effectively with deaf and hard-of-hearing children, youth, and adults has made sign language skills necessary.

Communicative Disorders Minor

A Minor in Communicative Disorders is also available for students in various education and health professions (nursing, health science, physical therapy, counseling, elementary and secondary education, special education, child development, linguistics, criminology, etc.) who are interested in expanding their understanding of children and adults with communicative disorders.


As a student, you are given the opportunity to work in a well-equipped speech and hearing clinic. You can also gain practical experience in a variety of school, private practice, and hospital settings. Library facilities contain specialized collections including student access to local medical libraries. In the Anna Michelson Memorial Instructional Media Center, you have access to a wide range of therapy production materials such as films, video, clinical equipment, and professional journals.

University Speech and Hearing Clinic

The department operates an ongoing clinic that provides diagnostic, therapeutic, and counseling services to clients of all ages with a variety of different communication problems or disorders.

The clinic provides supervised clinical practice for students who are preparing to be professional speech-language pathologists and educators of deaf and hard-of-hearing children. As a valuable community resource, the clinic serves thousands of clients each year from the Fresno metropolitan area.


Bachelor of Arts Degree Requirements

Communicative Disorders Major

1. Major requirements (41-47 units)

Speech-Language Pathology (47 units)
CSDS 80*, 91, 95*, 101*, 102*, 103, 105, 107, 109, 110, 114, 115, 116, 117, 128, 131, 172

2. General Education requirements (49 units)**

3. Other requirements (6 units)
Upper-division writing and Multicultural and International (MI)

4. Sufficient elective units to meet required total units (varies)
Courses may be used to satisfy credential requirements or a minor in another field. See advising notes 4 and 5 for recommended electives.

5. Total units (120)***

* These are four courses that are prerequisites for many of the remaining courses necessary to complete the option in speech-language pathology. A grade point average of 3.0 in these four courses, with a grade of C or better in each course, must be maintained as a prerequisite for CSDS 105, 109, 115, 117, and 172.

** CSDS 92 in G.E. Breadth C2 also may be applied to the communicative disorders major for students in the deaf education and interpreting options.

*** G.E. and MI courses can be double-counted with major requirements. The writing requirement may be met by taking the upper-division writing exam.  See advisor for details.



Advising Notes

  1. CR/NC grading is not permitted for CSDS majors for any coursework required in the major, with the exception of clinical courses. (See course descriptions.)
  2. General Education and elective units may be used toward a double major or minor (see Double Major or departmental minor). Consult the appropriate department chair, program coordinator, or faculty advisor for further information.
  3. Students in CSDS 110, 162, 163, 164, and other clinical, internship, and student teaching courses are required to show health certification that they are free from tuberculosis and rubella, and to purchase student clinic malpractice insurance for the clinical courses (see the University Speech and Hearing Clinic director for details).
  4. PSYCH 101 is a required credential course that can also be used as an undergraduate elective.
  5. A statistics course is a prerequisite to CSDS 200, which is typically taken the first semester of graduate work. It is recommended that students take statistics as an undergraduate elective prior to applying to graduate school.


For faculty phone numbers and e-mail, see the campus directory.

For more on the faculty, see the faculty pages.
The faculty pages are updated by the department or program.


Bachelor of Arts in Communicative Disorders - Speech Language Pathology

A Roadmap identifies the specific set of courses students must complete in their major in sequential order. Information on corequisites or prerequisites is listed along with other pertinent information to assist students in completing courses towards the major.

Click here for roadmap.

Please note: Roadmaps are not a guarantee of course availability.

If you are looking for archived roadmaps, please click here.


Assisting a deaf child in a learning situation

Audiology, speech-language pathology, deaf education and interpreting are concerned with many issues related to speech, hearing, and language. Professionals in these fields are devoted to providing diagnostic, rehabilitative, and educational services to children and adults with communicative challenges.

The department offers course work towards the completion of a degree with an emphasis in Communicative Disorders (Audiology or Speech Language Pathology) and Deaf Studies (ASL Instruction, Deaf Education, or Sign Language Interpreting).

What You Can Earn

Audiologist - $71,209 (In our region)

Speech Pathologist - $71,272 (In our region)

(Source: HR reported data from as of December 2012)

Teacher of the deaf - $55,400 (in our region)

Sign Language Interpreter - $45,000 (in our region)

(Source: HR reported data from as of August 2010)

Interesting Classes You Might Take

  • Introduction to Communicative Disorders
  • Anatomy and Physiology of the Speech Hearing Mechanisms
  • Education of Exceptional Children
  • Treatment Procedures in Communicative Disorders
  • American Sign Language courses
  • Deaf Literature
  • Deaf Culture

What You Can Learn

  • About deaf children in general, parent education, and various educational programs and services for deaf children and their parents
  • Signing skills and different models/systems of communication used with deaf and hard-of-hearing students, adolescents, and adults.
  • Physiological acoustics, psychoacoustics, acoustic phonetics, and perception of speech.
  • American Sign Language, its cultural/historical background, the role it plays in the deaf community, and its growing influence in American mainstream society.
  • Assessment and treatment procedures for individuals with communicative disorders in a variety of educational and medical settings.

About the College

The College of Health and Human Services offers a broad range of fully accredited post-secondary and graduate educational programs to more than 2100 students each year. The College includes the Departments of Communicative Disorders and Deaf Studies, Gerontology, Kinesiology, Nursing, Physical Therapy, Public Health, Recreation Administration, and Social Work Education.

Residents and communities in the Central California region continue to face serious issues within the health and human service environment that will require continuing generations of well-prepared health and human service professionals.

College Contact Information

2345 E. San Ramon
M/S MH26
Fresno CA 93740-8031

Phone: (559) 278-4004

FAX: (559) 278-4437

Department Contact Information

Department of Communicative Sciences and Deaf Studies
5310 N. Campus Drive M/S PH 80
Fresno, CA 93740-8019

Phone: (559) 278-2423
FAX: (559) 278-5187