Child and Family Science - Family Science Option, B.S.
Bachelor of Science in Child and Family Science
Family Science Option
1. Major requirements (54 units)
2. General Education requirements (49 units)
3. Other requirements (6 units)
Upper-division writing and Multicultural and International (MI)
4. Sufficient elective units to meet required total units (varies)
(See Degree Requirements); may be used toward a minor
5. Total units (120)*
* G.E. and MI courses can be double-counted with major requirements. The writing requirement may be met by taking the upper-division writing exam. See advisor for details.
- Group advising is required for new pre-majors (freshmen and transfers). Students must attend a group advising session before meeting individually with an advisor. Details available from the department.
- In order to major in Child and Family Science, students must do the following:
(a) formally declare major as "pre-CFS," and
(b) complete pre-major classes: CFS 31, 39, and 153 (or their departmentally approved equivalents) with grades of C or better; pass a qualifying exam over content in those three classes; and have earned a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5.
(c) Students may apply for a change of major (from Pre-CFS to CFS) when they take the qualifying exam; application will be provided with the exam. When the qualifying exam is passed, applications to the CFS major will be reviewed, and approved when completion of all required courses has been verified. Upon approval, the major will be changed, and students will be allowed to enroll in restricted upper division CFS courses.
- Students majoring in Child and Family Science are required to earn a grade of C or better in all major courses. A grade of CR/NC counts in the major only if it is the sole method of grading specified for a particular course.
- The following courses may not be taken concurrently: CFS 37 and CFS 139; CFS 145A and CFS 145B; CFS 179 and CFS 193.
CFS faculty members are highly qualified professionals with advanced degrees from universities across the nation. They bring practical insights and experience to the classroom, resulting from a wide variety of professional activities, research, publications, community service, and consulting.
For faculty phone numbers and e-mail, see the campus directory.
For more on the faculty, see the faculty pages.
The faculty pages are updated by the department or program.
Bachelor of Science in Child and Family Science - Family Science Option
A Roadmap identifies the specific set of courses students must complete in their major in sequential order. Information on corequisites or prerequisites is listed along with other pertinent information to assist students in completing courses towards the major.
Please note: Roadmaps are not a guarantee of course availability.
If you are looking for archived roadmaps, please click here.
What You Can Earn
Licensed Professional Counselor
$36,358 (in Fresno)
Source: HR Reported data in salary.com as of December 5, 2012
Interesting Classes You Might Take
- Children at Risk
- Family Theory
- Multicultural Perspectives on Children and Families
- Parent Education
- Families in America
What You Can Learn
- Physical, social, emotional and intellectual development from conception through adolescence
- Families, their place within society, and their influence on human behavior
About the College
The Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology can offer you the education you will need to be a leader in agriculture and related sciences in the New California. We offer outstanding programs in the traditional areas of agriculture, including animal sciences, plant science, agricultural education, viticulture and agricultural business. And, we offer excellent programs in areas which are uniquely related to agriculture, including nutrition and dietetics, food science, enology, child development, family science, fashion merchandising and industrial technology.
College Contact Information
Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology
2415 E. San Ramon,
Fresno, CA 93740
Department Contact Information
Child and Family Sciences
5300 N Campus Drive, M/S FF12
Fresno, CA 93740-8019
Department Phone: (559) 278-2283
Department Fax: (559) 278-8424
Department Office: Family and Food Science Building, Room 111