Students: Looking for an Internship?
The MCJ Department offers internships for credit (via the MCJ 191: Internship course) during the Fall, Spring and Summer semesters. Start looking for your internships EARLY and sign up for MCJ191 prior to the start of the semester.
MCJ 191 is offered for 1-3 units, repeatable up to 6 units. The course is for a letter grade and is no longer as CR/NC.
*Starting in Fall 2019, this course will be listed as MCJ191I.
- You are a MCJ major or minor.
- You are at least a 2nd semester junior and have complete at least a couple of your major option area courses.
- You do not currently work for the company you are wishing to sign up with to do an internship.
- The supervisor of your internship (e.g., the person you will be working under at your internship) must have a minimum of five years of full-time experience in the field/area you will be engaged with in your internship.
- If you wish to intern for a company, they must be approved and have completed all the required contracts with us.
- You must secure your internship and enroll in MCJ191 no later than the 2nd week of the start of the new semester.
Steps to Take To Secure an Internship
If you are interested in signing up for MCJ191I and completing an internship for college credit, here's what to do:
- Find your internship. Where should you look? You should seek out those companies that will have an internship in your area (TV stations, Marketing agencies, newspapers/magazines, etc.). View our list of companies. Watch your Fresno State email for announcements from Dr. Pierce on new internship opportunities.
- Secure your internship. Contact them, meet them and impress them! Treat this just like a JOB interview! DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE TO SECURE YOUR INTERNSHIP. Please keep in mind that if the company is not on our approved list of companies, they will need to sign a contract and be approved before you can do an internship with them.
- Complete the Internship Learning Plan Agreement Form. You should complete the student section and the other two sections should be completed by the company's internship supervisor.
- Complete the Student Reliability & Emergency Contact Form.
- Once you have completed the above forms, submit them to Dr. Pierce (contact info listed below). Once your internship is approved, you will be provided with a permission number to enroll in the course.
- Enroll in the course using the permission number.
- Start your hours — you need to complete the minimum required hours for the enrolled units.
Requirements During Your Internship
- You and your supervisor at the company should keep track of your hours (a tracking sheet will be posted on Canvas).
- You should complete the required hours for the enrolled number of units (1 unit = a minimum of 50 hours total (25 hrs by mid-term); 2 units = a minimum of 100 hours total (50 hrs by mid-term); 3 units = a minimum of 150 hours total (75 hrs by mid-term)
- Watch Canvas for announcements and assignments.
- Once you have completed the required mid-term hours, you will need to complete your Mid-Term Self-Evaluation Form. This form will be on Canvas.
- When you are finished with your internship (completed the required hours for the enrolled units), you will need to also complete your Final Self-Evaluation Form. This form is also on Canvas.
- When you have completed your internship, you will be required to give you supervisor the Supervisor Evaluation Form. This form will be made available on Canvas. The supervisor will need to complete the evaluation and send directly to the internship coordinator.
- Failure to complete the above evaluations will result in a failing grade for the internship. Failure to complete the internship hours and/or poor evaluation by the supervisor may also result in a failing grade.
If you have questions or need additional information, please contact Dr. Pierce, MCJ Internship Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.