Information for Students taking the MCJ 191: Internship Course
The MCJ Department offers internships for credit (via the MCJ 191: Internship course) during the Fall, Spring and Summer semesters.
If you are an MCJ major or minor, you are eligible to take the MCJ 191: Internship course and receive college credit for your internship. Further details are below. While you can only receive a maximum of 3.0 units of credit for MCJ 191 toward your degree, you may enroll in the course up to three times.
Please note that your internship supervisor (the person you are “working for” at your internship) must have a minimum of five years of full-time experience in the field you want to learn about. If you wish to intern for someone whom the Department has not worked with before, department approval and a resume of your potential supervisor will be required. Also, if you are planning on interning for a for-profit company and are not getting paid, note that your internship site must follow the Department of Labor guidelines: http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs71.pdf
If you want to take the MCJ 191: Internship course and earn college credit for your internship, here's what to do:
- Contact Dr. Tamyra Pierce at email@example.com for more information.
- Find your internship. Dr. Pierce can help.
- Secure your internship. Contact them, meet them, and WOW them!
- Fill out and submit the Internship Application Form. It is a two page document — you fill out the first part and your internship supervisor fills out the second part. Click here to download, fill it out, and give it to Dr. Pierce.
- Fill out and submit the Student Emergency Contact Form. Click here to download, fill it out, and give it to Dr. Pierce.
- Once your internship is approved, you will be provided with a permission number to enroll in the course.
- Enroll in the course using the permission number.
- Start your hours — you need to complete a minimum of 150 through the course of the semester.
- Once you have completed 75 hours, complete your Mid-Term Self-Evaluation Form. This form is on Bb. Also, you will be asked to write a 1-2 page paper describing your learning objectives and the outcomes you've achieved to date (check your email and Bb for more information about this).
- When you are finished with your internship (150 hours), complete your Final Self-Evaluation Form. This form is on Bb.
- When you have completed your internship, have your supervisor complete his/her Supervisor Evaluation Form. This form is on Bb. Staple this form to your final paper.
- At the completion of your internship, write a 1,500 word paper (double-spaced with 12-point font) detailing your experiences and your achievement of your learning objectives. This paper must be BOTH submitted to Bb and turned in in hard copy on the last day of the semester. Create a cover page with your name, course name, semester completed, supervisor’s name, internship location, word count, and your email address. The cover page must be signed by your internship supervisor. Staple the completed supervisor evaluation form to the top of your paper. Submit the final paperwork to Dr. Pierce.
If you have questions or need additional information, please contact Dr. Pierce, MCJ Internship Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.