Employers: Looking for an Intern?
Thank you for your interest in working with our MCJ department and our amazing students. We've included some useful information on this page for companies who may be interested in recruiting our students for internships.
- To complete an internship for college credit, students must be MCJ majors or minors and work for an organization first approved by the MCJ Internship Coordinator.
- Students must be under the direct supervision of someone with at least 5 years experience in the area(s) from which the student will be engaged and learn.
- Students are not allowed to work from a personal residence to complete their internship.
- Students should complete the required hours for the enrolled number of units (1 unit = a minimum of 50 hours total (25 hrs by mid-term); 2 units = a minimum of 100 hours total (50 hrs by mid-term); 3 units = a minimum of 150 hours total (75 hrs by mid-term)
- We offer internships for credit in the Fall (August-December), Spring (January-May) and Summer (End of May-end of July) semesters. Please contact the MCJ Internship Coordinator to learn about specific dates.
U.S. Labor Laws & Paid vs Non-paid internship
If you are a for-profit company, please note that the U.S. Department of Labor has strict guidelines regarding paid vs. unpaid internships. If you are looking for a student to fill an unpaid internship, you will be required to provide the MCJ Internship Coordinator with a written plan, subject to Department approval, regarding how your organization will abide by the Department of Labor Standards for unpaid internships. Visit the U.S. Dept of Labor's web page for more information.
Students interning at nonprofit organizations are eligible to earn a stipend for successful completion of 150 hours. Visit Fresno State Career Services for more information about this valuable program. Half of the stipend, plus an administrative fee, (total = $790) is paid by the nonprofit, and the other half of the stipend ($750) is paid by the Community Service Scholarship Program. So, the student earns $1500 for the semester.
Please note that if your internship opportunity doesn't meet our requirements (above), students will not be made available and MCJ students will not be able to earn college credit for your opportunity.
If your organization is looking for an intern, here are a few items that must be completed in order to recruit interns.
1. First, complete the Experiential Learning Agreement and return it to the MCJ Internship Coordinator. Next, complete the Fresno State Learning Site Assessment Form. Please contact Dr. Pierce, Internship Coordinator, (email is listed below) to receive both of these forms.
2. Once your company has completed the required forms and is approved for the internship, please compile a one-page internship opportunity description and submit to Dr. Pierce. The internship description should include the following:
- Information about your organization.
- A brief description of the internship opportunity and what the students will be learning about and doing in the internships.
- Any deadlines or company requirements. This can also include any specific skills you might be looking for with the interns (e.g., photography skills, social media experience, etc.).
- Contact information and how the student should “apply” for your internship.
3. Internship descriptions should be submitted each semester that the company is seeking interns (even if your company is a continuing participant in our internship program).
4. Please send the description(s) to the internship coordinator at least several weeks prior to the given semester. The deadline for students to sign up for internships is typically within the 2nd week of the new semester.
5. Once an internship description is approved (and the company has submitted/completed the required forms and been approved), it will be submitted to our MCJ students. Any interested student will then contact the company directly about obtaining the internship for the semester.
MCJ Internship Coordinator
If you have an internship opportunity or have any questions, please contact Dr. Tamyra Pierce at firstname.lastname@example.org or 559.278.2632.