Certificates in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
Undergraduate Certificate of Special Study in TESL
Required courses (12 units): LING 100, LING 141, LING 171, LING 155
Advising Note: We strongly recommend that international students also take LING 6 or LING 110W prior to or concurrently with LING 141.
Certificate of Advanced Study in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
The Department of Linguistics at the California State University, Fresno offers a Graduate Certificate in Teaching English as a Second Language (see below).
Graduate Certificate in Teaching English as a Second Language. This certificate is designed to train participants in the theory and practice of TESL, with application to a wide variety of teaching circumstances. Students must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or better in the program.
- LING 100: General Linguistics
- LING 141: Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- LING 171: Practicum in TESOL
Certificate Core Curriculum: 12 units total
- LING 237: Teaching Reading and Writing to Speakers of Other Languages
- LING 241: Seminar in Teaching English as a Second/Foreign Language
- LING 244: Curriculum Design and Classroom Evaluation
- LING 236 (or an approved graduate elective): Teaching Listening, Speaking and Pronunciation to Speakers of Other Languages